Wayne County rifle hunting.

I sure hope not

Sent from the awesomeness of Chas!

Rifles - when handled properly under typical hunting conditions - are actually safer than shotguns. Google the Pennsylvania study done in 2007 and it proves this.

This is coming from a lifelong hunter and Wayne county resident.

I'm not sure how it will affect the deer population but I do feel safer after reading the study.

Chris

Interesting read, Chris.  Thanks for posting.

I hunt in both counties and I'm most concerned with my neighboring "spray & pray" shotgun hunters in Honeoye. I know a perfect vantage point in Wayne county for my 30-06, safe & secluded but a bit too far for my 870...

Rifles - when handled properly under typical hunting conditions - are actually safer than shotguns. Google the Pennsylvania study done in 2007 and it proves this.

This is coming from a lifelong hunter and Wayne county resident.

I'm not sure how it will affect the deer population but I do feel safer after reading the study.

Chris

I have no concerns with the people that will be safe it's the people that aren't. State property will be exceptionally dangerous now with rifles. Shotguns have a tendency to go where they are aimed but rifles are more likely to bounce off objects.

Shotguns have a tendency to go where they are aimed but rifles are more likely to bounce off objects.

The study Chris posted found just the opposite for ricochets, actually.

Ricochets are a product of bullet design and velocity. Rifle bullets designed to expand on whitetail sized game will expend their energy very quickly upon impact...therefore less ricochet...shotgun slugs are lower velocity and designed to go thru brush etc and have minimal expansion therefore more ricochets. The rifle is safer in my opinion , BUT they are dangerous for far greater distances so my fear would be unethical shots on the horizon...which obviously shouldn't be taken with any gun. Just my 2 cents and im a rifle guy so take it for what its worth.

justin

We can thank the simple minded New York Bow Hunters Association. They feel they speak for us all but are just greedy and feel no other group should be allowed to shoot their deer..... Ohio, PA both passed and have NO effect on the number shot or a increase in hunters. This is sad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by rabhunt

Crossbow should be allowed during firearms season but definitely not archery season.

I'm with ya there. Crossbow is entirely different from bow and arrows and should not be part of archery season.

We shouldnt draw lines as sportsman and support each other. Bowhunters tend to think crossbows shouldn't be allowed, but most bowhunters dont use longbows or recurves and i dont hear them complaining when the rest of us use compounds. Legalize crossbows and let the sportsman pick his or her own challenge. Its not like there isnt enough deer to go around...btw i dont own a crossbow and have never shot one, but im not against anyone using them. Ill get mine either way...we should support hunting....period

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Compounds and crossbows are two completely different weapons. A compound still requires the hunter to draw carefully without being seen, hold that draw and wait for a clear shot, practice your various yardages, etc. crossbows are a firearm that stays cocked while waiting. You just shoulder it, click off the safety, aim through your scope, use the ballistic reticles for various yardage, and squeeze the trigger (all traits of a firearm). This is why crossbows have no place in Archery season.

Of course they are but the compound is completely different from a longbow and we get to hunt with them....todays compound is 80 percent let off and 360 fps...ever shoot a longbow....now thats real archery...im not saying crossbows arent easier...im saying whats it hurt you if someone else uses one

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Read the month before last issue of outdoor news there is a big article on the crossbow bill in it. I lived in Ohio for ten years we had crossbow during regular archery season and it was fine. I'm through and through compound but I don't see what the big deal is I mean I no quite a few people that loved bow hunting and now can no longer draw a compound and now in turn they have to miss the best time of the year to hunt because some a**hole who lives in the city and the bow hunters association think they have control over this state. If anything the state will bring more money with licenses and sales tax of these products. I also think it will be just like Ohio there will be a big buzz about it for the first couple of years after the do pass it and then you will see it go back to normal. Just my two cents

Jarrod

King slamming have you ever shot a crossbow? Yes they are kind of like a firearm but they are way heavier and slower than a compound. My pse compound out shoots my buddies brand new Horton crossbow any day of the week

I have shot crossbows, though not very often. I know their range is quite longer than a compound and they shoot much faster. However their kinetic energy is a lot less due to a smaller, lighter projectile. I have also shot longbows and have helped my son make a few out of hickory staves. You are right that using a recurve or a longbow is true archery, however a compound is not that far off besides the let off factor and the fancy accessories. A crossbow is a completely different and has no place in archery, except for the disabled. Why do we as people have to keep getting lazier? If you want to hunt during archery then take the time and practice with your REAL bow. By the way, I am affiliated with the NY Bowhunters Association. My son was featured in their magazine as the first youth to harvest a buck last yr when he was 12, a friend of mine is on the board, and my mother in law is the editor for their monthly magazine. None of them are a**holes, thank you.

My intent wasn't to start this crossbow debate all over again lol. Was just wanting to hear if there were any updates on the new bill that passed the senate this passed June. I always get a kick out of this debate. A lot of people seem to lose the message that hunting is slowly diminishing with interest by how the avg age is creeping upwards annually. With that said how do we get younger adults involved? As far as the crossbow being too easy, yep it's easier to hit the mark than a compound. Will that make the traditional archer switch to a crossbow? Nope. His intent is not for ease but for the challenge that goes along with it. Last time I checked the bill doesn't prevent anyone from having to change or forced to go to crossbow. Now it comes down to "but your taking my deer with something thats easier than I'm using for that particular season". Please, if this were the big issue someone should try and post the nuisance permits that are being handed out right and left to hunters, not farmers on land that is not open to anyone but the landowners buddies. We still have deer issues in certain areas.

Now for NY's deer management program, I'm sure Huntin guy could tell you the monsters that are in Ohio. There hunting season and regulations are built around making quality deer. This includes crossbow. They have a longer season, more record deer are harvested each season and yet NY can't seem to get it. your allowed one buck, take it however you want, shotgun, bow, crossbow, but your allowed only one. If i had more time id be hunting in Ohio fulltime. The Ohio DNR truly has it going on. Before you take a stance on the issue you should really take a few minutes and read about Ohios deer program and ask yourself if what were debating is the true issue.