Wayne County rifle hunting.

Well said frogger and slammin Meant no disrespect it just irritates the crap out of when the bow hunter association thinks they no what's best for the sportsman in this state. Truly Ohio does have it goin on with a lot less land to hunt out there than here ,but they have better rules and regs and crossbows are completely legal. Crossbows have to be at 175 lbs or Less draw back which in turn generally makes them slower than today's compounds

Just a small side it on the crossbow vs compound speed, energy debate. Compounds can be faster than the average crossbow, however newer models like the Barnett that shoot 400fps are with a 400 grain bolt/broad head total weight. Now if you did the math on kinetic energy that would be 142 ft lbs out of the shoot. Compounds can't do that. In fact if you ramped your draw weight up to a crazy 80 lbs on a coumpound and shot 6 grains per inch on an arrow which is like damn near redline line you wouldn't reach a 100ft lbs. So yes you can make a compound shoot faster by shooting a tooth pick, high crazy poundage and probably couldn't consistently hit the mark at 30 yards but off the shelf the crossbow is faster, flatter and has more energy than the off the shelf compound.

Im not sure I understand what is the downside to making them legal. I know they are different from a bow, but can someone explain how the crossbow will negatively impact current archers. And you cant go with they will kill our deer, they arent yours....I cant think of one reason that will negatively impact hunting. I thought promoting hunting and getting more people involed was a good thing.

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Personally I think it takes the skill and sport out of archery hunting. Just like using a gun put the crosshairs on the object and pull the trigger. When these things have taken game out to 80 yards consistently. I love too see the average Joe take a deer at 80 yards using a compound. Sport wise when you're an archery hunter you have to work a lot harder to get yourself closer to the deer to learn there habits and patterns.

In the last 5 years my wife and I have shot the majority of my deer during archery season and rarely go out with our guns. Will using crossbow negatively impact deer population? No one will know because there aren't long term studies only time will tell in those crossbow areas.

If someone could provide a 10 year study (similar to NY in deer density and Terrian/climate) proving me wrong I will happily retract any above statements.

Sent from my thinking chair...

I am through and through compound bow but I still don't see any negatives about crossbows, ya sure there will be a increase in hunters but so what let people enjoy the outdoors. Personally if the don't allow crossbows they shouldn't allow compounds then traditional archery because I no I can still shoot my compound just as good as someone shooting a crossbow even out to 55

I am through and through compound bow but I still don't see any negatives about crossbows, ya sure there will be a increase in hunters but so what let people enjoy the outdoors. Personally if the don't allow crossbows they shouldn't allow compounds then traditional archery because I no I can still shoot my compound just as good as someone shooting a crossbow even out to 55

U can shoot your compound that good because you put the time into it. Archery is 90% about the hardwork, practice, preparation, etc. that comes before the ability to harvest an animal. Regular season is for the immediate results of picking up a weapon, putting the crosshairs on a target, and pulling the trigger. Again this falls on the laziness of society. If u want to hunt during archery, spend the time learning how to shoot an archery implement such as a longbow, recurve, or compound. And by the way, there is no way you can consider a crossbow similar to a compound. True Bowhunters understand this. Like Chas said, I rarely even hunt during reg season because of the amount of hunters and undue pressure on the deer.

I understand everyone's point of view and there will always be the great archery debate I say we all just say piss on it and let's go fishin cause we still have some amazing fishing ahead of us before any hunting occurs lol

I'll drink to that

X2

I understand everyone's point of view and there will always be the great archery debate I say we all just say piss on it and let's go fishin cause we still have some amazing fishing ahead of us before any hunting occurs lol

I second that

Sent from my thinking chair...