autopilot for mercruiser or stern drive

john1947

Hi,

A few weeks ago I installed the sp110 sitex on my 1987 searay.It uses a octopus mechanical drive unit that has been in production for 20 years.Its canadian made  not chinesee junk.It seemed like a tough job that might need a installer but after reading the instructions several times and contacting the manufacturer everything got done .Now I could do it in about three hours at the most.The unit works very good and have no isues with slow speed problems  that were reported.

Its alot easier now to troll with the autopilot.

I also installed an octopus drive unit on my 1991 Weekender. It is a great alternative, for auto pilot installation, on cable steered boats.  I used a Simrad AP 24 auto pilot, AC12 course computer, and RC42 rate compass to connect to the drive unit.. The unit I installed, is the below deck model. I purchased the longer cable so I could mount the drive unit  in the center compartment, away from the twins.  The overall install was fairly simple. The hardest part for me was connecting the cable to the existing power steering ram. Not a lot of room, and I am not a contortionist. :)   So far it has performed great. It handles 3'-4's no problem.   

Good news on these Auto Pilots guys. I have been looking into using the Octopus Remote drive with possibly a Garmin GHP12 or the Simrad AP2401 vrf on my 89 Amberjack. Only problem so far is getting a responce from Octopus here in Canada on what parts I will need and or any recomendations they might have. They don't seem to reply to emails.

Will it still hold its coarse trolling slower than 2.0mph? Did you install the rudder feedback onto the drive? How much stiffer is your  steering now? While trolling I shut down one engine and like to switch back and forth to keep hours close. Any issues running it on engine w/o power steering? Any other info greatly appreciated.

Cheers...Jake

Edited by nautime

I have a garmin ghp 12. With the octopus drive on my twin 5.7l mercruisers. I installed it last year and it works great. I shut down one motor when trolling. I use the motor with power steering when in waves and the non power steering motor when it is flat. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the garmin. It is a great unit. I have it programmed to do "u" turns, zigzag steering, mob, circles& and of course it keeps me straight.

Thanks

Al

HOOKNUP 2

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hi,

A few weeks ago I installed the sp110 sitex on my 1987 searay.It uses a octopus mechanical drive unit that has been in production for 20 years.Its canadian made  not chinesee junk.It seemed like a tough job that might need a installer but after reading the instructions several times and contacting the manufacturer everything got done .Now I could do it in about three hours at the most.The unit works very good and have no isues with slow speed problems  that were reported.

Its alot easier now to troll with the autopilot.

Got the same unit installed on my Penn Yan with Bravo 3 drive and so far so good. Knock on wood! Lol. I'm really happy with it so far. Did you need the spacer kit too?