Wind direction question - specifically NE blow

Hello to all,

Here's my question: we had another few days of rather strong NE wind and as I would expect there was an abundance of warm water in tight to the south shore and deeper "down temp". However, a few weeks back we had exactly the same scenario with strong NE wind and the result was exactly opposite with an upwelling with very cold water on top.

I am addicted to understanding how the wind affects temperature, so could someone help explain why the same wind direction for two days resulted in the exact opposite in water stratification a few weeks ago compared with this past weekend?

Thanks very much,

Chris

Don't know the scientific reason why but a NE wind will bring cold water in and a NW wind will bring warm water in. I was out this Saturday and the wind started blowing a little from the NW and in a matter of a couple hours we went from having to fish 90-100 deep to find cold water to over 130ft deep when we left. Wind from any other direction doesn't seem to change the water too much. A west wind seems to keep fishing conditions consistent. The past two years the mid-June through mid July wind patterns had a consistent westernly flow and likewise the fishing was very consistent for us. This year we seem to have much more easternly winds in the mix. For whatever reason, even with a light east wind the fish get lockjaw. I think Tim Bromund had more of a scientific explantion as to why the water changes so much with a NE/NW wind. Hope that helps.

The natural current that exists in Lake Ontario is from west to east. Flowing from the Niagara out the St. Lawrence River. When water reaches it's most dense at 39 deg. it settles at or near the bottom. That being said every temp. stratifies accordingly. The warmest on top and down to the coldest or in this case the most dense.

When we get a East or North East you have a lot surface disturbances pushing that warm water against the current and it has to go somewhere..... on shore. This in turn drives it down and displaces the cold water underneath. Upwelling occurs and we end up with ice water on the surface and the fish scatter to try and find there comfort zone. Fishing is difficult and most struggle for a few days till things get back to normal. I'm sure I left out some of the details but that's a brief explanation of thermal hydro-dynamics.   

Hey Chris,

The NW blow on Sat piled all the warm water in, so at the beginning of the NE blow which followed on Sun, it may have seemed like the opposite. But generally a west wind piles in the warm water on the SE shoreline and a NE blow takes the warm water westward and brings in colder water on the shoreline.   

another way to look at it is the west wind is moving water in the same direction as the natural west to east currest resulting in a pile up of warm water east.. the opposite effect would be a N/E wind moving the warm water accross the top of and in the opposite direction of the eastbound current, thus the warm water will be replaced quicker because the two water masses are moving in opposite directions. warm water leaves... cold water replaces it from the botton up.   I think :nerd:

Hey guys,

Thanks a bunch - I didn't realize the wind was NW and strong on Saturday. I was out last night and it was strong out of the NE, so i would presume that the inside water might be colder this morning rather than last night.

Thanks again,

Chris

Just out of curiosity. Does a NE/NW wind have the opposite effect on the North shore? I.e. warm water near shore with a NE wind and cold water with a NW?

The whole lake doesn't roll when we get East, North East winds. If you were to run out 20 miles it stays relatively consistent. That is to say the middle of the lake does get temp changes but there not as drastic as the shoreline.