bigger motor

fshnwmn

anyone with suggestions. i have a 1985 bayliner trophy model .i love it. hard cap and in very very good condition. my problem is it has a 120hsp. volvo penta engine. it's heavy and tops out at 25mph. i would like to get a bigger engine put in it over the winter.

what amount of hsp. would i need maybe to get 32mph.

any suggestions would be welcomed

thanks

fshnwmn

That is a reliable motor. I would think twice about going bigger. It may even end up costing more than you may want to spend. But that is my two cents. Chances are you would probable have to upgrade the out drive as well. I'm not sure but I know my 4 cylinder Volvo in my 88 trophy had an 270 out drive single prop. The trophy I have now has a v8 volvo with a 290 out drive with a duo prop

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

on my 1988 21 foot bayliner with the hard top it came with a 4 cyl Volvo engine.  I got a salvaged engine and driveline from a local salvage marina for the same cost of a new crate engine.  the setup I got was a 1989 mercruiser 4.3L V6 with 205 Hp and a matching drive and gimbal housing.  that boat would do almost 40 and if there were a place to climb a hill on the lake that boat would have done it.  for me the cost was NOT prohibitive because I was responsible for the labor weather I was rebuilding a junk 4 cyl or dropping in a bada$$ GM/mercruiser engine assembly.  so I shopped and busted my hump and had 9 thousand invested in the boat including the cost of the vessel and tackle.  that's pretty cheap for a boat as safe, strong and reliable as that boat was.

Edited by kingslamon22