Dunkirk NY Report

RD9

It has progressively been getting slower on the walleye catching and more silver bass.Strong winds for three days, who knows what we will have tomarrow, still will be slow rollers, but water temps could be colder.Thursday is a cold front, high will be only 65 degrees, low will be around 45 degrees.Friday may be to soon after the winds & front, guess you will only know when you go and drop out the lines.I will be out tomarrow and give a report after.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Went out of Dunkirk yesterday afternoon with two friends fishing was as good as it been all year. In three hours we boated 8 walleye and 1 steelhead. The walleyes were big four around the eight pound mark. The steelhead was 10.47. The walleye came of 10 colors of lead and dipsey set on three 210 back with watermelon single blade harnesses. Off the lead a white ranowski was the best. We were straight out in a 100 to 110 ft fish were down around the 60ft mark. We marked the most fish we have all year. Last year we fished NW of the Catt until October first and caught fish until we couldn't get out any more. Early September has always been my favorite time of year and there was only two other boats we could see. If I can figure it out I will post a picture of the graph around 6 pm.

Was thinking about hitting the Dunkirk area after we close up for the year at the Black River, trailer over to Dunkirk for a week then home for the winter. :( Was wondering if you guys know of a place to stay, not really a hotel/motel type of guy. A house or cottage is what I like, will settle for motel, if nothing else is available thanks, PAP.

No cottages that I know of but plenty of hotel/motel.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was told also, figured some locals would know a little more. O-well, we will figure something out.

We did not fare well out of Barcelona Harbor on Monday morning.Tons of silver bass(amish trout) and the amish we had out kept them.Walleye action was slow so we moved into 20ft of water off Chautauqua Creek looking for brown trout. They caught 1 brown and 15 smallmouth bass to fill their buckets.Waves began laying down as we went in at noon.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Went out of Dunkirk Sat at two out to 110 ft of water had good marks from 85 ft on out. Could not get them to bite. Only ended up with one eye. One of the charters had four in a few hours in the same area. I must have not had the right setup for there likings. He said he caught three on the same 10 color. The fish are still there, we also marked a lot in 65 ft on the way in but the silvers make me frustrated. I did almost land a sheepshead down 85 ft over a 110ft on a reynowsky of the rigger. It took drag like a trout and had to be eight to ten pounds. Earlier in the year during the One of the tournaments I caught a sheepshead weighing 10.6 lbs which lead to immediate frustration and then laughter because we all thought we had a massive eye.

Well went out of dunkirk yesterday afternoon in a east chop with my buddy and my four year old son who loves being out there. Straight out to 90 ft and still had good marks 50 to 60 down. Dipsey on three with a harness takes a hit and after a bit we have what is a 9 or 10 pounder right next to the boat which falls off and lays lifeless on the surface. We motor back around and sure enough it goes under just before we arrive. We then dropped two more eyes behind the boat curtisouy of my four year old and a dipsey rod, but I could care less we have caught enough this year. The next pole to go is the rigger 50 ft down with a watermelon harness and we land a six lb female steelhead. We put that back down ten minutes later another steelhead and we lost it breaking off the back hook of a harness I probably haven't token off in three months. Ended up with one nice eye and a steelhead.

There are still active fish out there ready to bite, the weather has made it tough. I believe we would of ended up with three maybe four if we didn't let a preschooler handle most of the rod duties.

By the looks of my graph I believe if you went out of dunkirk and targeted trout you could catch a bunch in 85 to 90 ft. Lots of streaks flying up from the bottom not wanting to eat a worm @ 1.8 mph.

• 4 weeks later...

We had this pictures out of Dunkirk mid September. Can't remember the date but we caught a bunch after work that day. School was a mile thick straight north out of Dunkirk.

post-151253-0-72926200-1382012862_thumb.jpg

We had this pictures out of Dunkirk mid September. Can't remember the date but we caught a bunch after work that day. School was a mile thick straight north out of Dunkirk.

Now your making me even more nutty than I am already. We got a trip scheduled for mid July, thank to Larry, MostlyMuskies for hooking me up!!!

Do you have any idea of how deep. I talked to one of the Dec guys and they said they had nets between sturgeon and Myers reef full of walleyes a few weeks back in about twenty feet.

Do you have any idea of how deep. I talked to one of the Dec guys and they said they had nets between sturgeon and Myers reef full of walleyes a few weeks back in about twenty feet.

Why would they have nets? or are they a release type of net or something, just curious (maybe concerned) if they are kill nets.

I'm sure they were release nets. They were actually looking for lake trout for a study.

Thanks for reply, I hate the word NETS. As a younger boy 40 years ago, I remember a guy who had a bullhead netting license on the Perch River where we had property also and we were only 2 or 3 houses up from him. Which was grandfathered to him and he used to set that thing right where the Perch and the Black River Bay joined and every year it would get set more close to the Black river, there is a big mud flat that basically separated the 2 rivers and one year we made it our business to actually see what he's catching and we were surprised to see lots of walleye, perch, browns and of course bullheads, but the other species were out numbering the bullheads. Someone photographed it. There were no phones and movie cameras then, and in the local paper, the Watertown Daily Times, Latest news section, he was prosecuted  and lost his license. That was a good thing, but it took it toll on the fishery as this was going on for years, his father made a living off of this trade and then the son took over and I remember he had it for years till greed to over and that was the end of that.