Starting to get a little upset here

Just wondering if anyone can help here a little (you all have helped out a bunch already, sorry for so many questions!!).  Well I thought I had a gas delivery problem, and still might.  I bought an external tank and new hose filled it with 6gallons and a quart of oil and put it on the boat (I wont go in to detail about the tank leaking all over the truck bed and the boat!!!!).  I can now prime the bulb and seems like there is gas going to the motor (I pulled the plugs and they are wet).  Now I try and start the motor and it seems like the battery is dead or almost dead.  Tried charging it but the motor tries to turn but very slowly.  I hooked the jumper cables up to the truck and to the battery and still the same?!?! 

Gas issue, not sure?

Battery issue, not sure now?

One thing I did notice was the starter would pop up to start the motor and not always drop back down when the key was disengaged.  The last time I tried to start the motor the starter stayed up and when I took a little pressure off of it from the fly wheel it dropped back down?!!? 

Starter issue??

I am going camping with the family in 2 weeks and we are supposed to take the boat to Sampson for a few days.  I would really like to have this issue fixed and be able to sue the boat with out being too worried about getting stranded on the lake!!

Thinking I should try and find a mechanic and try and get it fixed, if that can happen it 2 weeks!!!  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the quick replies fellas!!

If you don't mind me asking where are you from and where was it that you took your starter to get it fixed??  I see a new one is $150-$200. 

Thanks again for all of the help and stuff!  This is a great site and you are all very helpful!!

That little gear on top of the starter needs a little grease now & then.  If the truck battery acted the same when you jumped it. I'd strongly suspect a connection problem.  Spit shine those connections with some fine sand paper; Tighten nuts with a wrench.  But while you have the connections off look for corroded wires. 

Tom B.

(LongLine)

If you hooked up jumper cables, and nothing changed as far as the starter, then the starter is bad, either the armature is bad or the magnets are loose from the case causing the starter to drag resulting in a slow turning starter. Take it off and take it to a local rebuilder, if he can't fix it he should be able to get you a GOOD after market unit for half the price of the dealer, hopes this helps. F&F Starter & Alt. Owned & operated by PAP.

I have learned the hard way that sometimes you have to know when to say when. Do not wait till the last minute to take it to  a pro that will know what is wrong quickly . Guessing & throwing parts into it may cost you more in the long run than fixing it right  the first time. My vacation  means a lot to me  & I want no problems. Just Sayin. Good Luck.

Can anyone suggest a place to have my motor worked on in the Elmira Corning area.  Can anyone tell me about Jamisons in Campbell?  Or up in Watkins would be the closest lake.  I may see about having the starter worked on but then I wouldn't mind taking it somewhere after that. 

Thanks for all the help!!

WOO HOO!!!  I got it running!!

Got the new battery and it would turn over a bit quicker.  I got the starter rebuilt and it turned over a lot quicker and it still would not start?!?!  I finally emailed the previous owner and asked if there was a trick to getting it started.  The reply was that if it had been a while they would always use a little starter fluid.  So since I could not get it started with the rebuilt starter I figured what the heck, I just want to hear it run again!!!  I took the air intake off, well I could only get 5 of the 6 bolts out and sprayed a tiny bit of starter fluid into the top 2 carbs and it started up no problem.  I let it run for a little bit to get some of the gas with the seafoam through it and then shut it off.  I waited about 15 minutes and it started up again no problem.  I let it set for a couple hours and tried it again with no problems.  I then gave it a day and tried, again no problem!!  Just glad to hear it run again!!!

Should I be concerned at all about this?  Or is it just that the motor is 21 years old and it need a little kick to get started? 

Well we will be camping at Sampson this coming week, so I hope to be tooling around the lake with the kids in the boat.  Thanks again for all the help and replies on my post!!

if its a vacume powered fuel pump you have a weak fuel pump signal or faulty pump.  either the pump has a leakdown problem or it does not have enough vacume to prime itself without the engine running.  this could be caused by cracked vacume hose or low engine compression or pinhole in the pump diaphram.  that's why it wont start after long periods of time sitting.   whene it starts to seem sluggish at WOT its time to change the pump before it leaves you stranded...or check for symptoms or worn cylinders.  if in fact were talking about a carb'ed engine this should be the case.  the leakdown is no doubt the check valve in the pump.  however the check valves could stick open and leave you stranded as well but is less likely than the diaphragm or lack of compression

Edited by kingslamon22