Handheld VHF radio

onion

Looking for recommendations on a handheld VHF radio. I don't make many trips on LO and don't travel out far but would like a radio just in case and to monitor weather channels. Also how far from shore can you go and still have cell coverage? Thx.

Not an easy answer - depends on what cell carrier you have, how far you are from the closest cell tower they own & whether there's anything in the way - and the boat's moving. 

I'd recommend a boat-mounted vhf and 5' antenna first.  They're not expensive, are usually more than four times the wattage and vhf is line-of-site; the antenna height is key for getting decent range.

Edited by Mortigan

I have a handheld that I use on my bigger boat as a backup in the summer and on my little boat as the sole means of VHF communication in the Winter. Mine doesn't require a carrier and operates just as my fixed mount but with 5watts output.

Many say you can get 5-8mi transmit distance with a 5-6watt radio and roughly 4 times that for reception. The one thing that makes me feel safe is that if something went drastically wrong you can take the handheld overboard with you. Granted you have less range because you'd be at water level but at least it's something.

Check this link- http://www.boatus.com/husick/c_hheld.asp

Anything with 5watts, floating and submersible by icom or standard horizon.

Sent from my Lenovo P770 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My boat VHF has 25W and 5W capability. I tested it out for the first time this past weekend with a cousin of mine who lives on the lake. He was using his handheld in his livingroom. We were roughly 5 miles away from each other, I was obviously on the water..We were not in the line of sight with each other either (i.e. some islands in between us).

His handheld transmits at 5W. I could barely hear him, he was breaking up allot. He said that I was coming in clear as a bell..no issues. I also have an 8' antenna on the boat.