Fish limits

Read the fishing regulations. 3 limit i believe no more than one steelhead

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One Atlantic over 25" and 2 lakers with one in the slot (25 to 30") too.

3 silver fish per person per day (brown, steelhead, coho and chinook) min size on steelhead is 21" all others min size is 15"

2 lake trout per person, one of the two must be in the 25"-30" slot limit, the other can be any size, min 15"

1 atlantic salmon per day, min size 25"

In the tribs, only 1 steelhead per day may be kept/harvested, min size 21"

Tim

Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River Fishing Regulations

And all tributaries upstream to the first barrier impassable by fish except tributaries to the St. Lawrence River in Franklin and Clinton Counties where general angling regulations apply

Special Fishing Regulations for Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River

Species Open Season Minimum Length Daily Limit

brown trout, rainbow trout (including steelhead), coho salmon, chinook salmon, pink salmon All year 15", except 21" for rainbow trout

Except 9" in Irondequoit Creek (entire), Lindsey Creek and Skinner Creek (Oswego and Jefferson Counties), and the Black River (Jefferson County) 3 in any combination not to include more than 1 rainbow trout (or steelhead) in the tributaries

lake trout Jan. 1 through September 30 none 2 except no more than 1 shall be between 25" and 30"

Atlantic salmon All year 25" 1

northern pike First Saturday in May through March 15 22"

Here you go, only diff from what Tim said, is you are allowed 2 lakers, but only one can be in slot. You can have 2 lakers out of slot, either above or below. Also going by this, there is no minimum length for lakers, which I believe is wrong, should be 15".

Good Luck

Capt.Rich

What are the fish limits this year per person. thanks for any info on Ontairo

Maybe I'm wrong but if YOU bought a fishing license then it's YOUR responsibility to understand and follow the regs. Yes there's a wealth of knowledge here for all to share but the fishing regulations are published and it's not something you ask others about. just my 2 cents 

Maybe I'm wrong but if YOU bought a fishing license then it's YOUR responsibility to understand and follow the regs. Yes there's a wealth of knowledge here for all to share but the fishing regulations are published and it's not something you ask others about. just my 2 cents 

:muscle:

X2 - the ENCON officer won't care where/who you "heard" the regs from or that you read them on LOU. Just sayin....

Shawn 

Yup. So now that we are on the subject of keeping fish, would like to see some fish "carriers, transporters, cooler setups"..I am thinking that my 48 QT cooler isnt gonna be adequate...

Speaking of coolers , brings another interesting question...48 qt cooler ok if all fish caught will be filleted, question then is how many days limit may u transport and what are the requirements on the way fish are filleted..I bring that up just to keep the topic going...LOL   100 qt cooler best if just going to gut your fish and transport home and then do the finishing touches..Check the reg's bout fileting fish,  its interesting.   Going over the reg's every once in awhile a great idea..

Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River Fishing Regulations<p>Portions of this page may require JavaScript to be enabled for your browser.</p>

And all tributaries upstream to the first barrier impassable by fish except tributaries to the St. Lawrence River in Franklin and Clinton Counties where general angling regulations apply

Special Fishing Regulations for Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River Species Open Season Minimum Length Daily Limit brown trout, rainbow trout (including steelhead), coho salmon, chinook salmon, pink salmon All year 15", except 21" for rainbow trout

Except 9" in Irondequoit Creek (entire), Lindsey Creek and Skinner Creek (Oswego and Jefferson Counties), and the Black River (Jefferson County) 3 in any combination not to include more than 1 rainbow trout (or steelhead) in the tributaries lake trout Jan. 1 through September 30 none 2 except no more than 1 shall be between 25" and 30" Atlantic salmon All year 25" 1 northern pike First Saturday in May through March 15 22" 5 Black Bass (Lake Ontario & tributaries except in Jefferson County and including the St. Lawrence River & tributaries) Statewide angling regulations apply Black Bass (Lake Ontario and tributaries in Jefferson

County & St. Lawrence River and tributaries) 3rd Saturday in June through Nov 30 12" 5 walleye First Saturday in May through March 15 18" 3 muskellunge and tiger muskellunge Third Saturday in June through December 15 48" 1 lake sturgeon, American eel Closed Possession Prohibited yellow perch, sunfish All year Any size 50

Except Yellow Perch and Sunfish may be taken in any number in Jefferson County all other fish species Statewide angling regulations apply

ADK1: 48 qt cooler will probably do the job if you filet all your fish..But keep this in mind it is illegal to cut, filet, or skin a Lake Trout or Atlantic salmon which would make it tough to determine the size and species of said fish..Gilled and gutted ok.While on NY waters.Other trout and salmon ok to filet, keep in mind good idea to leave skin on the fish and make filets large enough to determine fishes length...Now if your lucky enough to catch some real giants, you'll just have to spring for a large cooler,,,,LOL   Tite lines to ya guy ..

Thanks 3feathers. but I think I am gonna spring for at least a 100qt cooler and maybe the 150qt size..whats another $80....haha..heck, just put $500 worth of new radial tires on the trailer just so that I can get there!

Thanks 3feathers. but I think I am gonna spring for at least a 100qt cooler and maybe the 150qt size..whats another $80....haha..heck, just put $500 worth of new radial tires on the trailer just so that I can get there!

Adk, make sure you have room in the boat for whatever cooler you get, a 150qt is big.  Check out Sam's/Walmart for a 120qt for $50-60, probably big enough unless you find the mother load and it will do double duty as a seat if needed.

It should be considered that a "failure to harvest the stocked salmon and trout" will result in a slower growth rate for the biomass. When this happens the DEC will cut back on stocking numbers and we will have upset  fishermen again. It is advisable to encourage the harvest of the trout and salmon to keep the growth rate up and not to have the experiences that Lake Michigan and Lake Huron anglers suffered.

Adk, make sure you have room in the boat for whatever cooler you get, a 150qt is big.  Check out Sam's/Walmart for a 120qt for $50-60, probably big enough unless you find the mother load and it will do double duty as a seat if needed.

exactly what I was thinking.

It should be considered that a "failure to harvest the stocked salmon and trout" will result in a slower growth rate for the biomass. When this happens the DEC will cut back on stocking numbers and we will have upset  fishermen again. It is advisable to encourage the harvest of the trout and salmon to keep the growth rate up and not to have the experiences that Lake Michigan and Lake Huron anglers suffered.

This quote should be mandatory reading around here!!! I encourage everyone to harvest fish, participate in the angler diaries and show the DEC that we are using our resources in order to promote more stockings.

justin

I believe the regs state that you can't have more than two days limit in your possession at any one time. I can check and post the link.

As for the "harvest all you're legally allowed" comments, I just don't know. I really don't think we are on the brink of a biomass crash. Keep all the kings and cohos ya want, but consider letting some of those trout go. They WILL continue to grow, and us trib guys enjoy big steel and browns. I'd rather have QUALITY fish than a bunch of cookie cutter three year olds.