How do you know where to go

Been fishing for a few years but only get out a couple times a month, most get out more in a month than I do in a year.  When I do get out things are OK, we catch a few,  Reading posts how do you know which way to go, do I go east....west,,,,,north.  Is there something I should be looking for or at that would give me the best direction?   Currently I just take a look for where the most boats are and head that way.

Any help fellow fisherman would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Experience, knowledge, information, fishing reports, species to target, weather, water temps, time of year .......all these things to factor so you will not get one answer.  That is the attraction of Lake O.....the learning part.   Just when you think you have her figured out, she will throw you a curve ball.  If you are new to the game, pay attention to this site, become an observer for tournaments, take some charters..........and enjoy the ride.

In the spring and early summer, pay attention to surface temp maps. Fish the tight gradient lines. Mid summer after the lake sets up, a good temp probe is key to fish where the temps are ideal for the species you are targeting. Definitely pay attention to reports on this site for your port as well

Ask at the local bait shop, they usually have an idea of what is going on.  I usually start out in 60 FOW and check the down temp, if its too warm I'll keep heading deeper til I find decent down temp and work from there looking for bait on my fish finder all the way.  Generally when you find pods of bait the fish won't be far off.  Watch for slicks or temp breaks, great place to start if you can find one, not too hard if the lake is flat but a little chop will make it harder to see.

In general, we head north west from about 60 FOW until we get bit and work the area once we find some fish.  If you don't get into fish, don't be afraid to keep trolling into deeper water. 

Ask at the local bait shop, they usually have an idea of what is going on.  I usually start out in 60 FOW and check the down temp, if its too warm I'll keep heading deeper til I find decent down temp and work from there looking for bait on my fish finder all the way.  Generally when you find pods of bait the fish won't be far off.  Watch for slicks or temp breaks, great place to start if you can find one, not too hard if the lake is flat but a little chop will make it harder to see.

In general, we head north west from about 60 FOW until we get bit and work the area once we find some fish.  If you don't get into fish, don't be afraid to keep trolling into deeper water. 

I do the exact same thing, I normally head out of Olcott NW to about 60fow, set down, engage the AP and start setting lines on a NW-NNW troll (between 300 and 330 deg).  Most days I'll find the fish somewhere between 60 and 200 fow and then start working and area once we start getting bites.

Some times if there's been a lot of W/NW winds, I'll head NE out of port and follow the same procedure either NW or NE depending on which is a more comfortable troll with the wave conditions, but I always start in 50-60 fow.  The last thing you want to do is drive over the fish and as quick as Lake O get's deep, it doesn't take long to get over deeper water from that starting point and a lot of times, we WILL find kings in 60 fow in the morning.

I normally get my starboard wire diver in the water first and let that start slowly creeping out on a light drag, fishing it's way out to it's final setting while I'm setting the starboard (probe rigger) looking for 42 deg.  A lot of times, first thing in the morning the fish are up high and feeding out of temp and that creeping diver gets smoked before I even get the probe rigger in the water.

Once the starboard side is set, I repeat the process on the port side and then get some junk lines out on boards after the riggers and divers are set.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Don't assume a pack of boats means that is where the fish are most abundant, but don't ignore them either.  I will follow a similar approach to Tim, but it really depends on what time I get started. The later in the morning I start, the deeper I will set up.  Lots of guys look for a boat or two and run there...thus a pack is created very quickly.  It doesn't mean they are catching fish.  I will watch a pack from a distance to see if they keep working an area, or if they start to disperse.  That's a good indicator on whether they are fishing or catching.

Also, how high or deep the temp is will help me decide if I will start inside and troll out, or start outside and troll in.   It's not at all uncommon for me to run out to 300 - 600 and set up if temp is above 60 feet inside. As a general rule when I am in search mode, If temp is higher, I run out deep and troll in. If temp is deeper, I set up inside and troll out. If I can help it, I don't want to set up when I am still 5+ miles from the majority of life.  I'll roll the dice and burn the gas to set up deep when temp is higher because I will catch more fish out deeper in those conditions more times than not. Just keep in mind when fishing higher temp after an E or NE blow you won't mark many fish on your sonar. That doesn't mean they aren't there :)

That's how I begin a trip. From there I troll and search and figure it out as I go...

Edited by Fishtails

• 2 weeks later...

Olcottfishing.com     All the links you need are at the top of the page.  Click on surface currents icon.  Click on the Temp transects option for lake O summer-time conditions or the surface temps option for springtime fishing conditions.