Yankee Tanks -n- Tags @ the Oak 7/19, 7/20, and 7/23

I apologize for the late reports.

July 19th - The boys from Ohio were back again this year for some Salmon action! Of course they brought up some Lake Erie winds with them, but it was nothing the ol’ Yankee couldn’t handle! 

We got an early start and worked the inside waters for about an hour before giving up on that program and heading NW. When we got to the 25N line our bite started. We would work the 25N to 27N line for the rest of the day. 

Our Cannon downriggers were dragging all spoons, and we had them parked from 60’ down to 120’. Our wires and coppers pulled flasher/fly combos. No real stud on this day, but the usuals took fish for us. Dreamweaver’s Sea Sick Waddler mupped on a deep rigger was good. A Hammertime Spin Docotor pulling an A-TOM-MIK Hammer fly on our wire along with a Wonderbread Smartfish pulling a Glow Blue A-TOM-MIK Hammer.

IMG_20130719_092713_zps9f227dc6.jpg

IMG_20130719_120155_zps21c672a3.jpg

July 20th - Same Ohio boys brought the same wind, but bigger waves! We gave it a go in the morning, but it resulted in 5 bites in three hours with only one big guy. We made the decision to sit it out until later when it was supposed to calm down, and that was a great call!

We got back out around 2pm and for most of the afternoon trip it was a steady pick of smaller fish. The last two hours the big guys kicked it into gear and we put the smack down on some Lake Ontario Chinooks!

Our 400 and 500 coppers took a few fish, our wires seemed to be dead, but our Cannon downriggers were the workhorses of the night. Earlier in the night we had them parked at 85-125’ down, but some cold water rolled in and by the end of the trip we were fishing 50-75’ down with them. Dreamweaver’s Sea Sick Waddler was great on our deep rigger. Finger Lakes Tackle’s UV Sea Sick Waddler was also good. However, the big guy of the night took a Stinger Nuclear Green. 

IMG_20130720_203802_zps2d0dafa2.jpg

IMG_20130720_205324_zpsc853ce4e.jpg

My first ever Credit River tagged Steelbow:

IMG_20130720_184042_zps09837ceb.jpg

July 24th (Evening) - It blew hard North in the morning, but we knew it was supposed to lay down. We waited it out until 2pm and we gave it a go. We sat down on the 26N line because of some bait, but we didn’t mark anything until we got to the 28N line.

We had a steady pick of small Steelhead and small Salmon out to the 31N line. Our Cannon downriggers were loaded with Sea Sick Waddlers on the deep rigger, Stinger Green Nukes on the high rigger, and the middle rigger had some Finger Lakes UV Sea Sick Waddlers. All were taking fish regularly, and all were Mupped. We ran a four diver set with flasher/fly combos on the low divers and mag spoons on the high divers. Three out of the four divers took fish, but they were one and done. Our other work horse was a 300 copper pulling a Dreamweaver Green Nuke Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Jerge (150) fly. Gotta love when you put a new combo together and it takes a few fish!

IMG_20130724_173057_zps6d2f6871.jpg

IMG_20130724_172156_zpsd3a64681.jpg

Edited by Yankee Troller

Thanks for the great photos and the report!

What was the weight for that credit river steelbow?

I didn't get a scale on it, but it was 27" long.

Question- what do you mean when you say they were mupped?

Mupped means we pin a Magnum spoon cheated 10' above a regular size. Generally the same flavor.

Mup = Mag Up

Mupped has been around for a long time. I think it was started at the Oak. When you have warm water up top, and a slider would be a waste of a lure in that warm water, we always MUP. 

Yankee how do you run that mup up 10ft. Seperate rod stacked? Or some other way. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's a cheater line pinned with a rubberband half hitched around the main line.

Set the downrigger down 10' with the main line attached. Then lean over the side of the boat and attach your cheater to a half hitched rubberband and the main line at the water line. Two lures on one rod.

Set the downrigger down 10' with the main line attached. Then lean over the side of the boat and attach your cheater to a half hitched rubberband and the main line at the water line. Two lures on one rod.

That's a pretty cool idea and I bet that idea works very well. Thanks for sharing that info with us, like always very good post with great pictures, always professional!!! Thanks again PAP.

Impressive fish and report! Were/are you able to get any info on the tagged bow?

Shawn

I phoned it in to the # on the tag. Left my phone # and some pertinent info, but haven't heard anything.

You can also use the offshore small releases for pinning your cheaters. You put it on your slider and hook your leader on your mainline then pinch the off shore and pin it to the mainline.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

so its a slider that is pinned in a certain place by the rubberband? does the size of the spoons matter?

No it doesnt matter what size spoon ive experimented with multiple cheaters too but that can get a little ugly. You dont have to set them at q0 foot either, you can run them as far above your down lure as you want. I use 10 ft personally most of the time.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Even though we had to wait until 2pm to get out, it was all worth it when Rick threw out the  Mike Iaconelli impersonation ! :)

LMAO.....if you can't have fun none of this is worth it!

Was it the break dance or the temper tantrum?? Both would be hilarious to see!!

It went a little like this:

Fish hits the out -n- down. I run to the rod grab it and reel down to the fish and set the hook. The fish goes under the diver so I do a quick maneuver to get it untangled. I run to the middle of the boat and surf the fish in at which time I grab the line and boat flip him in. Ending the battle shouting never give up. Mind you this whole thing lasted about 5-10 seconds.

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: