3 more eyes...otisco 7-25

First time on Otisco in years and my father caught a 24" walleye today. It was full of fat around the organs as described in previous posts. It's not something we see in the walleyes from other waters. They are well fed! I took a few pics while cleaning it to share. post-151993-13751400655267_thumb.jpg

post-151993-13751412634687_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bait taker was that eye caught trolling, jigging, or casting. Im not looking for exact details just curious...ill be back up this afternoon for a few more of my own with a little luck. Every keeper you catch will have that fat btw. Nice job glad you guys got one!

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Justin,

The walleye pictured was caught trolling on the west side of the lake on a worm harness (Erie Dearie). We also caught a catfish over 20" trolling. That was a first for me... :huh:

I see in a previous post you mentioned fishing with lead core. I am trying to get my hands on a couple more trolling rods to give it a try. Do you have any advice for someone who is just getting into using core lines?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey Justin.. I used to fish Otisco a lot and fished light line for walleyes. Have you seen any fleas on the lake or can you still troll light line. Thanks in advance.

There are no fleas as of Sunday morning...Ive never had them at Otisco.  As for light line Id strongly urge you to use at least 10 lb leader...Im still using 15 lb flouro and its working but I prob should be using 20 trolling as fast as I do.  The tiger muskies tear up the 15 but I can usually land em at least with 15.  Had a friend that wanted to try 6 and 8 and he was breaking off on the strike...if you aren't trolling you can definitely go lighter but a vicious musky strike will cut you for sure...the 15lb and up gives you a chance to catch both...The big tiger tracy caught was on 15lb leader and I don't think tigers get much bigger than that one.

bait taker,

I use a diawa 47lc reel and have 3 core setups, but I only really run 1 down the chute...5 colors with a rapala taildancer 9...I only use harnesses if I cant catch on  cranks in the summer...spring and fall Ill run both at the same time as I have to go slow anyways...I troll very fast all summer 3+ on gps...last august I caught 5-6 catfish in row 1 morning on rapala tdd11's from 5-10lbs speed trolling...never caught 1 since!

justin