Setting up Kayak for trolling

Looking to set-up a 12 ft kayak for some trolling action.  Looking at targeting lakers / browns / bows in the finger lakes.  Although I'm closer to Seneca & Canandaigua, I'm thinking that Canadice and Hemlock will be where most of the my trolling action will be at the beginning.  It's been nearly 30 years since I've last trolled, so trying to refresh my memory and re-utilize some of the hand-me-down gear I've got.  Back in the day we ran mostly braided on down riggers and pulled copper, so please excuse my lack of knowledge on some things. 

I was originally figuring on using a Dispy diver to get me the depth needed; but then I found this product so I ordered one to see how it will work. http://www.anglerinnovations.com/products/longliner.  

I've got a few Penn Peerless 9's and I figured with the long-liner I could run 20 lb Fluorocarbon line, and attach a ball bearing swivel for the leader to attach to.   I'm going to pair these up to either a 8'6" Daiwa Wilderness Medimum action or a 9' D-Wave medium action.

Some questions for the group :

I'm concerned about the drag created by the water resistance from running this gear;

Anyone know the difference in resistance between braided as compared to fluro or wire ?

What about resistance created by Dispy divers ?  What size should i be using for these lakes ?

Is wire line over-kill for dispy's on the finger lakes ?

How much line should I be loading up my reels with ?  

Anyone have any other kayak-friendly suggestions ?  

Figured I'd also be carrying the jigging set-up in case trolling doesn't work as expected.

Ive seen guys trolling with 1# weights on a 3 way rig to bounce bottom for lakers and they do pretty well

Zack,  How far below the three way is the 1# weight?

I kayak fish Lake Ontario for trout and salmon all summer long.

For lake trout I use a 4/0  or 5/0 cowbell with spin-n-glow 2 feet behind it and a 3-way swivel with a 1 lb round sinker about 10" below it. Drag it along the bottom at about 1 mph in about 100 FOW.

For salmon & steelhead I use a dipsy diver with spin doctor & fly. I use to use 30# mono but didn't like how hard it is to trip the dipsy diver. So this year I have been experimenting with 150# Power Pro braid. The reason for such high strength line is that it is about the same diameter as 30# mono which is critical for keeping spiny fleas off the line. So far the heavy braid seems to be pretty good for preventing flea build up (not quite as good as 30# mono). When I first started this a few years ago, I used 40# braid which was a flea magnet.

The dipsy diver creates a significant amount of drag. For deep water trolling I use a magnum dipsy diver with the ring on it. That subtracts at least 1 to 1.5 mph from my paddling speed (significant especially in a head wind). For trolling up to 50' deep, I prefer a 10 color lead core line (good for 50' down) which creates no noticeable drag.

Good luck!

What Jude said except some of the water on Seneca( which I also fish) is too deep to drag the cowbell on the bottom. There is also a finger lake version of cowbell which is much smaller than the ones I use on Ontario. I also have a rod holder in front of my yak which I use a deep diving rapalla. Sometimes I catch browns or land locks on that. I also fish with the leadcore and dipsy as well as flasher and flies. Once you get the methodology down, you will be fine. You can also jig for fish once you locate them. Good luck and welcome to the club.

Just watched the long liner video, Might be complicated to trip once you get near the boat. This is the area most fish are lost. Id rather have the rod in one hand and the net in the other. 3 way with the weight and cowbell or long leader will accomplish the same thing.The other thing both Flyboy and I use is a reel with a line counter. This will make the learning curve much less. I also bought a mini planner board but didn't get a chance to try it out yet.

• 2 years later...

I can't imagine dragging a 1# weight with paddles?!  When I troll with 2 deep divers for walleyes and salmon my arms are feelin' it after a couple miles of paddling.  I suppose those that are trolling with ball weights are using Hobie Cats or yaks with foot pedals.

I can't imagine dragging a 1# weight with paddles?! When I troll with 2 deep divers for walleyes and salmon my arms are feelin' it after a couple miles of paddling. I suppose those that are trolling with ball weights are using Hobie Cats or yaks with foot pedals.

That's why I upgraded last fall to a Hobie mirage drive (pedal power) yak.

Not that I don't mind having arms looking like Popeye....

The new ride on Hemlock lake last year

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/index.php?/topic/54661-New-yak

Very nice.  This will be only my second season with the yak but last year was so good I know I will be doing this for years so I will have to make the upgrade to foot pedals when I can find a good deal.  How much did you get yours  on sale for  if you don't mind me asking?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  Yeah if I'm going to troll a dipsy I would only use 1 rod.  Last season trolling 2 big lipped crankbaits had my shoulders screaming.  Good thing my only fishing day is Sunday so I have the rest of the week to recuperate.