I always think it's important to post the good days with the bad, in hopes that I can learn something that I may have done wrong or differently than others which affected my bite on a given day. Today's them was "it started and ended with a bang" but in between it was slow, slow, slow......

Nonetheless, I fished with my good buddy Mike today and we focused on the Shipbuilders area east of the bay as we started early with a subtle SE wind and I thought it might be productive. We fished two riggers, two wire divers, a 400' copper and a ten color core. Everything took hits other than the lead core, but the hits were early and than late sandwiched in between by a 2 hour lull of not even a bite.

We started in 180 fow and as soon as the first rigger was in the water it was fish on. We managed to land 5 out of six fish by 7 AM, with a brown, 15# king, two nice steelhead and a smaller king. It was constant action with a fish every 10 minutes or so. Four fish were on the riggers, the lost fish on the wire, and the larger king on the copper. Unfortunately, it took us about 20 minutes to land the king on the copper and by that time we were close to 300' fow and the winds were picking up. For the next two hours we couldn't move a rod no matter what we tried - fishing out to 400' and then slowly trolling west and back into 120'. All the bait clouds, fish marks from 50' on up disappeared as if someone turned a switch as soon as the winds picked up. Even when we trolled back through our waypoints in 200', the fish and bait were gone......

It wasn't until we headed back into the 120' fow area just west of the bay that we started marking a few small fish and bait again and we had two more hits right before 10:30 AM when we headed back to port. Those two fish hit a cheated rigger and a shallow wire diver 175'. One fish was a small 5-6 # king and the second a smaller 2-3# brown.

The following all took fish today:

400' copper pulling a DW standard SSW

75' rigger cheated - DW SS wonderbread glow (MVP of the day)

175' wire - DW Hammertime SD with a mirage fly

60' rigger BF KOS spoon

60' cheated rigger - DW SS Gator spoon with silver back

Down temp - very cold 45-49 degree water down about 60-70 feet most of the morning with a very sharp transition between 45-50 feet.

Sounded like guys/gals east of us in Sodus were doing some damage on the big boys - congrats to Nick and his wife on their 30# king!

I think we would have caught fire again in the late morning in shallow if we could have fished longer......oh well - tomorrow is another day.

Good luck and be safe to all,

- Chris

They were hungry today. And I think u are right if you stayed out you would have caught more. Our last bite came at 12:30 and it was our third break off of the day on 30# big game leaders on Rhys Davies meat rigs. I proceeded to pull the rods (while cursing the whole time) and run in, marking fish 40 feet down the whole way in to 100 FOW. Needless to say I stopped at slippery sinker for some goodies and I'm tying new 50# floro leaders at my kitchen table while drinking some cold ones. We lost 5 screamers today.

we started off the morning off Braddocks for a change and ended up in front of hedges....stayed out around 240 to 280 the whole time....  after all the hours me and my 11 year old ended 2 for 11.  he caught the two.   Steelie and a king.  I tried sharper hooks, shorter leads, longer leads, and praying but I could not keep a fish on the line.   PURPLE WAS THE COLOR TODAY.

we started off the morning off Braddocks for a change and ended up in front of hedges....stayed out around 240 to 280 the whole time....  after all the hours me and my 11 year old ended 2 for 11.  he caught the two.   Steelie and a king.  I tried sharper hooks, shorter leads, longer leads, and praying but I could not keep a fish on the line.   PURPLE WAS THE COLOR TODAY.

It was for us too, fishing off Braddock's Bay.  We had steelhead just shredding purple spoons.  When the wind kicked up and the temp dropped, our bite disappeared as well.

Good work out there. You have outdone us once again!

We nearly skunked after dragging juvenile king for a while after playing in Russell 240-280 fow. Lost a set of spin doc fly to a screamer off wire diver. Stopped fishing at 930 am.

I'm glad the I bays boys did well overall.

Thanks for the excellent report.