Hit the trench at first light and setup with a FF and spoon program with 6-rod spread in hopes of boating some salmon. Didn't mark much bait or arcs and the rollers slowly turned into white cap rollers that were just a bit too uncomfortable to be in with my boat. Damn it! Headed back inside to Stoney and set up with all spoons in 90-100fow targeting browns. Quickly doubled up. Damn it... first fish boated was a ridiculously huge sheepshead.

post-151421-13750309268896_thumb.jpg

Second fish screamed for a little bit in the beginning and we weren't sure quite what it was... It saw the boat and made another good run. We're all thinking it must be a teenage salmon the way it was fighting and acting... Got the nose up in the water and in the net after a good 10min fight. Wholy cow the biggest brown we've boated yet!! 17.5lbs at scale back at camp and 33" long!! What a fish!!

post-151421-13750312456546_thumb.jpg

post-151421-1375031103301_thumb.jpg

Caught 2 other average browns like this one.

post-151421-13750312893723_thumb.jpg

Overall went 4-5 missing one strike, and that includes the huge drum. Headed in at noon. All 3 browns caught on a Magnum NK28 NBK. That spoon continues to produce for us. Can't have too many in the tackle box.

Headed back up on Wed-Fri... Got some friends in town from Ohio visiting so want to try to put them on these fish. We got a seasonal camp in Sackets Harbor at Bedford Creek now.... Loving it!

Were you able to get down temps? With all this south wind I was curious as to whether it started to setup. Looks like you had some good luck with the browns! What spoons were you running?

Sent from my thinking chair...

Thanks guys!

I don't have a down temp probe... I look for arcs and baitfish zig zagging across the trench profile and stick to the depth contour on my navionics card that yields the most action... figure I'm in the right temp zone putting the spoons right down in front of them where they're being marked.

Best spoons have been a magnum Northern King 28, natural born killer.  I don't see it listed on their website... but the only place i've found who sells it is Dick's sporting goods.  Maybe it's a special dick's product?  I don't know... it's very close to the chartruese one that NK has on their website... but a little different.

Purple stinger ladderback spoons also seem to do alright.

Nice Report- We hit the water on Friday and Saturday out of Henderson. Headed outside the mountain top and headed straight towards the power plant smoke in 150-160 feet of water. On Friday we went 7 for 9. 5 lake trout from 12 to 16lbs, 1 king weighed in at 23 lbs and one shaker king probably weighed 3 lbs. Had a double hookup on the line with the shaker king. Small king hit the slider and when we grabbed the rod to release it from the rigger it released it self and started screaming and off went 150 of line then nothing and my buddy said he lost the fish and started reeling the line in and when he got it to the boat the little guy was there. Never had that happen before. 2 fish on riggers down 90-130. The big king hit the slider spoon on the 130 rigger. All the lakers came on the 500 ft copper with flasher fly.

On Saturday headed to the same spot and same route. Have 4 of us on the boat and went 6 for 9 on lakers. 2 of the fish we dropped were screamers and one broke the 50lb leader on the flasher fly combo. Hammer time spin doctors and green flies were the ticket for us.

I wanted to go out there where you were so bad on Saturday... but by 10am those rollers made me a bit uncomfortable in my boat.  On days like that, can I find lakers in the 100-120fow trench between Stoney and the island?  I tried cowbells on 2 passes on the bottom and zilch... nothin.

Mark,

Most likely they are talking about what some of us call the Haystack, that is on the west side of the outer trench off the finger. Look on your GPS and you will see where it comes up on the calf island side.

Capt Rich