Escape Sandy Creek Shootout - buffalo bills syndrome!

Started the morning in 125 off the nose. 4 minutes of trolling and only five rods in the water, we were on our first fish of the day. After an awesome fight, Keith slid the net under a 30lb 12 (loc scale weight) king. After 15 minutes of getting rods out, the 210 diver starts screaming. After a 550' run, Steve Lands a 27 and change king. At 730 we did our third king at 15 and change. After that our day took a major turn ( just like the bills we started of strong and then we faded away!) We struggled to find fish over 7 lbs. we did have a nice laker but it was short of the 30" minimum by 1/4"! At the weigh in, we took 10 th place and big fish of the tourney. Congrats to all the winners. Once again the guys that ran the Shootout did an awesome job!

Edited by GAMBLER

On Friday I had a 103 lb box.....I ran back to the same numbers and we had well over 30 bites, but they were all smaller class fish. We boated 15 kings all between 12 and 18 lbs. The big ones moved on from the day before. Lots of good class Steel head also.....

It sounded like the inside was the place to be for the tourney fish. Congrats on a good showing and congrats to all who placed.....

Great tourney, run really well due to the hard work and time these guys put in. It's a class act and was a Fun day. It was hard to pick the teams success by their faces at the awards ceremony, everyone I saw was smiling and enjoying time with family and good friends. Can't put a price on that Thanks all for a fun time.

It was my first shootout- awesome time and a great event! Great to get out on the water with a few buddies and even better to place! Ha if you would have asked me before I went out where I thought I'd be at the end of the day I wouldn't have said 4th!

Big thanks to everyone who helped set up the event!

Sounds like a great time had by all... congrats to all teams. How did the shootout work? Looking to get into some tourny's but with a wedding in 5 days it has been impossible to get up. The ol' lady promises i have free range after the wedding and honeymoon. It has been a tough year, but looking forward from here on out... Thanks to all who post because without the posts I would be in withdraw. Looking forward to the weekly smallmouth tourny here in pa tomorrow. Hopefully can bring in a nice 4 fish limit and get some kind of trophy this year! Keep the posts coming...

Same thing here, we started out in 80 fow and before the 3rd rod was down we pulled in a 15 lb king. Then a few minuets  later did another. Worked out to 170-180 did a mix bag of steelies and kings all under 20. Then the same thing happened. SHUT DOWN!!  We ran out to 380 and went north to 400 + we found good temps 50-56 degrees  down 45-75. so we stuck with it. There we found our biggest box of kings.(not the big big boys) but enough for the 4 fish box. We did however find a steelhead tagged from Port Credit Ontario. 8 pounder.  First tagged fish we ever caught. Kind of Neat.  Great job to all the organizer's, a good time for sure.

Brian.  That fish was a pig.  "You're gonna need a bigger cooler"    At first light we had 2 big kings in the boat but at 8:00 it shut off for us. That's when we moved out and found good fish in 580.   Thank goodness for 500 copper. Our last fish was just enough to push up the board to 2nd.   (I ran out of sinkers other wise we might have finally beat Jay :lol: )

Congrats on the 2nd place finish Lou.  I thought we had it when we had 58 - 59lbs in 2 fish by 6am!  We stuck in that inside water and kept with our deep program where we pulled the 2 big ones.  Come to find out, Jay took his box up high in warm water in the same same depth range.  All we could pull up high were small steelies. 

That was a great king Brian! We did inside down by the glass house and back to devils nose. By 8:30 we had zero fish in the box. Very humbling and nerve wracked. Lots of small fish, and we decided to run way off to the Scotch Bonnet Gap. The water was a bit lumpy out there, but we had better screen, and color.

We had 3 in the box by 1:00 pm. The steel head kept us busy and ended up getting one keeper steelhead and then a hybrid chinho, finally a 23 lb king that gave Tom a real battle right up at the boat. We ended up pulling everything else out of the water due to the circus ride like a merry go round as this fish planned to go in one direction to the right and try to pass the boat. Several full power blasts on the little 9.9 to try to keep ahead of the race and we now have only about 15 minutes before we need to pick up and run 14 miles back to port. We just need one more fish to make a full box. Knowing the chance of placing with the chinho and steelhead in the box with the king was lost, we opted to put down a quick 5 rod spread of steelhead tackle and shoot for the steely prize. All we could do was pick more underclass fish and had to settle for the 3 fish box and try to make weigh in. Was a long way back and seemed to take forever at 36 mph, but after a couple miles we could see more than just the tops of the buildings in Rochester. The ramp at Sandy Creek Marina was busy, and more frantic moments pass as we waited our turn to load up, move the fish from the boat to the cooler in the truck. We pulled into Northstar sportsman club with a few minutes to spare. Thank goodness the close of weigh in was open a little longer than 2 pm. My two 14 year old competitors were perfect on the rods and I sure hoped I could get them on a better class of fish, but I knew I didn't want to show up late at weigh in.

After all we had a great time fishing, it was a good day, no tornadoes, no big waves...except Sunday..5 to 6s breaking by afternoon. Still fun but couldn't muster more than a 19 king, and targeted lakers for a short while getting 5 of them all cookie cutter 8 to 10lbs. All out in front of devils nose 95 fow on the bottom. We ended the east troll in front of Watoma shoal light and ran back to port through the breakers at 15 mph. Motored up to east fork to find Jason cleaning his boat and his winning 27 lb king for Sunday big fish.

Jason has the program that keeps on winning, and that takes hard work and skills to win every event since inception! Impressive fishing!

Another great tournament, fun, relaxing, time fishing! Everyone, Make it a point to try this event, you will not be disappointed! Everyone comes away with something. The sponsor goodie bag for entering is worth a good portion of the entry fee, and even low scoring boxes win something from the sponsors. Can't go wrong! Everyone here had smiles and laughs and that is a reward in itself. Thanks to the organizers for another well run event. Hats off!

Mark and team Stand & Deliver

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by skipper19

Congrats on the 2nd place finish Lou. I thought we had it when we had 58 - 59lbs in 2 fish by 6am! We stuck in that inside water and kept with our deep program where we pulled the 2 big ones. Come to find out, Jay took his box up high in warm water in the same same depth range. All we could pull up high were small steelies.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you were a Giant's fan you would have pulled the majors out late in the tourny (4th qtr). Then hoisted the championship trophy!!! Like Eli ;)