New Fisherman made out of Port Of Rochester

My son and I promised a young man that we would take him out fishing. He's a nice 13 year old that really has not had much exposure to fishing. Well we started out in 400 ft. It was a bit bumpy out there and the screen was blank. So we decided to go in tighter. We set up closer and in 5 minutes we were into the steelies. The kid was having a great time. Then all of a sudden, it's a screamer. We all know and love that sound. My  son hands the rod to Tyler. Off and running was the fish. The kid was yelling,"my arm hurts". With a smile as big as the moon. Being the great Capt and Mate my son and I are, we told him suck it up and catch the fish. After a 30 min run. He pulled in a nice 26.9 lb king. He was texting pictures to everyone he knew. I get a call from his father asking me to keep the fish freah so he could have it mounted for him. His first one and all. Well, It was really hard for me to call his father back to let him know that you really don't want to have that fish mounted. He ask, why not?  It's easy. He just reeled in a 37.8 King. To see this kid out there made our day. A fisherman for life now!

Capt Bob

B and post-143365-0-79240400-1375037371_thumb.jpgB Charters

Out of all the fishing posts that I've read over the years this one really hit the heart. First of all not that many people would take the time to take a child or young man that is not as privileged as some, and to make his day with a fish big enough for the wall is just outstanding, on both ends of the stick, this day will be in that young mans head forever, it's something he will talk about till the end of time. When I hear stories like this it reminds me of the time we took a little Amish boy fishing, for 2 days he stood on the dock and watched us go out and he would wave and he would be there when we got back, so the one night we asked if he'd like to go with us  (he only spoke PA. Dutch) which my father spoke also, so dad told him to ask his parents if it would be ok, and later that night his father came over to us and in Dutch asked dad all kinds of questions and then said ok, so at 5.30 he was at the boat waiting and that day we assaulted the walleyes, the kid was just speechless the whole day and on top of it all we gave all the fish to him, his family couldn't thank us enough!!! The mother of the family wanted our address she said the boy wanted to stay in touch, which we thought was nice, 2 months later we got a notice in the mail box item to large for box, need to go to the post office, so dad and I went to the post office wondering what the hell did we do now, in this huge box was a letter from the Amish boy thanking dad and I for the fishing trip of a life time and in the box was 2 king size quilts for our beds, mine was made with hankercheif  squares red,blue and white and it looks like the American flag and dads was made out of carhartt material brown,blue,white black they were absolutely amazing!!! I still have mine on our bed to this day. You and your son are outstanding people to do such a special thing, and maybe he will take up fishing instead of all the other crap the younger generation gets into. Thank you for the great story and trophy size fish for the young lad. PAP

Not to rain on your parade. What about the derby? This fish would have netted you $7,500!!!!!

My son and I promised a young man that we would take him out fishing. He's a nice 13 year old that really has not had much exposure to fishing. Well we started out in 400 ft. It was a bit bumpy out there and the screen was blank. So we decided to go in tighter. We set up closer and in 5 minutes we were into the steelies. The kid was having a great time. Then all of a sudden, it's a screamer. We all know and love that sound. My son hands the rod to Tyler. Off and running was the fish. The kid was yelling,"my arm hurts". With a smile as big as the moon. Being the great Capt and Mate my son and I are, we told him suck it up and catch the fish. After a 30 min run. He pulled in a nice 26.9 lb king. He was texting pictures to everyone he knew. I get a call from his father asking me to keep the fish freah so he could have it mounted for him. His first one and all. Well, It was really hard for me to call his father back to let him know that you really don't want to have that fish mounted. He ask, why not? It's easy. He just reeled in a 37.8 King. To see this kid out there made our day. A fisherman for life now!

Capt Bob

B and DSC_0509.JPGB Charters

The only mistake we made. We were not in the Derby. We have been in the Spring and Fall Derby for the last 12 years. Never the summer one. My son and I talked  about that. Honestly, this day was worth much more than $7500. But, it would have been a nice kick.....

Thanks all

Captain Bob,

Make no mistake about this, you have said it right the first time: this story is priceless!

Your story has reminded me to take my friend and his 2 boys out sometimes real soon. We had a trip 2 weeks ago and the water was very rough. I told the father I will not continue fishing in hellish water because I wanted the boys to have a positive experience for their first time fishing. Will post the results.

Tight lines!