After the trip last weekend being so bad with storms and wind this past weekend made up for it.

THURSDAY - Launched around 2 pm, light East wind, less than 1 foot waves, sunny, and headed almost due North to 370’, 27.5 N, 11.5 W. Put out our normal spread of 3 riggers set between 65’ and 75’, 2 with spoons and one spin doctor and fly, also 2 wire line dipsy rods, 2 setting at 200’ and 210’. Down temp was 50 deg down 75. Started a NW troll and had our largest fish of the trip, 26.3 lbs in the net 30 min later. The next 4 salmon were all over 22 lbs and kept us plenty busy. We ended up catching a bunch of fish with some throwback and kept 7 fish, 6 were kings, one steelhead.

get-attachment_zps91575c0b.jpg

3_zpse2621dd3.jpg

FRIDAY – launched at 6am and returned to the same area as Thursday. Fairly brisk East wind waves 1-2. Much slower fishing, steelhead and small kings only, not much on the radio as far as fishing catching. Went in at 9 am with plans to come back in afternoon.

Launched at 1 PM and returned to same area with no baitfish or fish marking like they were in there. Trolled North to 30.5 line with no success, turned south and trolled into the 26.3N 12.2 W area and started marking pods of baitfish and started catching some teenager kings with one over 20. Ended the day with 5 kings and 2 steelhead kept.

SATURDAY – launched at 5:30 am and headed North to 26/12 area to see if the fish from Fridat evening were still there. There were not. The temp had come up we now had 46 deg down 65. Turned the boat North and started a North trolled. When we hit the 28.4 N the down temp changed to 51 down 65 and the fish were there and ready to cooperate. We worked a small area at 28.5N/ 12W the rest of the morning and put 7 kings and 1 steelhead in the box with many other hits and throwbacks. We were done for the day around 10:30. The radio was full of fish catching on Saturday, I think everyone everywhere caught a bunch of salmon based upon the radio. Most of the charters were working just North and West of us and doing well. They worked the 28N- 32N and 12W – 16 W with great success both Friday afternoon and all day Saturday. We were able to stay clear of that mess of boat traffic, had areas to ourselves that worked well.

5_zps7b8f860a.jpg

SUNDAY – we only have a few hrs to fish before heading home and the weather prevented us from going out deep where we had been the 3 previous days. It got pretty nasty with the waves by around 8 am in close, outside was “sporty†as I heard a charter say on the radio yesterday. We stayed in tight and fished 100-150’ just East of port and pulled 2 good kings and one steelhead that we kept and a couple of salmon throwbacks. We marked some good fish in there and lost one really good fish when the treble hook on the A-Tom-Mik fly broke. That was the second time over this trip that the same break on a fly cost us a screamer. I wish we had a couple of more days to work the inside water over well. No boats anywhere on the inside early on Sunday anywhere, some came back in from deep mid morning to give it a shot due to waves out deep. I’m guessing there found some really good matures in close yesterday afternoon.

It was a fun trip with good weather and lots fish with great quality. We kept 25 fish with 21 being kings and 4 steelhead. We did not think we could improve on last years catch and quality but this year was even better except we had to go out deep to get into fish, last year everything was way inside.

The catch was evenly matched with spoons and flasher fly, and downrigger to dispy. They all had their days where one was better than another but pretty close overall. Spin Doctors with some flash, 42 second, lemon ice were probably our best. All variations of green A-tom-mik flys were all we ran, green glow, green crinkle, 42 second, etc. Spoons a mix of good ones, alewive on Friday afternoon was very good and NBK on Saturday was on fire on the riggers.

Edited by Lundy

If it helps anyone at all.

Just checked my order form for the fly's I purchased for this trip to replenish the supply

All are A-tom-mik

T29 Tournament Green Pearl behind a Lemon Ice Spin doctor was our best combo all 4 days

The T23 Tournament Crinkle Green behind a 42 second spin was a very close in hits.

We also pulled fish on the T41 Ultra Green Glow and S502 Shredded Crinkle Green

The Spin doctor Green Dot Crush Glow also worked well

For the breakoffs everyone has those days even with 50# leaders.  I believe it was Ernie Lantiegne that came up with an improvement on the tourney tie that had a drop of epoxy in the center of the treble.  At times he believed that the line gets wrapped back thru the treble's crotch due to fish twisting and thrashing and that the tight crotch there where the hook bend starts will cut line between the single and the treble. I have not tried this tip but it has me interested. 

Also keep an eye on the line itself between the teeth that later season salmon have and the thrashing along with our netting and unhooking activities with each fish you land there is alot of time for abrasions on leaders.  We tie hook/bead rigs as spares and at the first sign of a nick we will pull the fly if it is still in good shape and thread it on a new leader and you are right back into fishing with confindence.

Nice job.

j

That fish gripper works great for all kinds of toothy fish

Works just like vise grips, once closed stays closed until you open it. I use it on eyes a lot

They also float but we have verified that yet:)