Anyone have any luck with PowerPro with the fleas

I would like to use PowerPro on my dipsy rigs. It's just easier to handle than the wire.

I tried 30# PP but the fleas like it.

Does anyone have experience with heavier PP, like 50# or heavier, during flea season.

Thanks,

Trout Bum

I have the 50 lb on one of my rigs...the fleas also seem to like 50 lb :)  It is sitting in my garage until this Fall

My 2 braid divers are 50 lb Power Pro.  They stay in the cabin during flea season.

Trust me, wire is worth the effort and negligible hassle to run.  Even when I have both in the water, I get about 4:1 wire to braid diver bites and seem to drop a lot more fish on braid for some reason.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Ran 2 dipsys all weekend with 50lb power pro. Both had fleas everytime they were brought in. They may be a hassle but have not fish because of them. I will not be switching to wire. Copper is enough hassle to deal with. No convincing this guy wire is better other than flea-less.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

so what is the hassle with running wire? I am new to wire and am just gettting ready to rig up a 1000' wire rig. I know that you have to wind it on under tension. I have 7 strand wire.

there isn't any really other than eventually replacing the rod tip, years down the road once it gets grooved. Like I said above, most of the year, my braid divers never leave the cabin, both because of fleas and because my wires have always gotten 3x-4x as many bites.

Tim

Ran 2 dipsys all weekend with 50lb power pro. Both had fleas everytime they were brought in. They may be a hassle but have not fish because of them. I will not be switching to wire. Copper is enough hassle to deal with. No convincing this guy wire is better other than flea-less.

You will forever be at a disadvantage. .. wire divers are probably the most effective salmon weapon there is from mid summer on. And copper is the most effective presentation when the bite slows down. Good luck:rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by on the lam

For a weekend warrior I am more than satisfied with the success I have with my current program. If you are a professional you may care. To me the more important thing is what's behind the dipseys. Fish do not eat fishing line of any kind. I am not lacking in success and do not fish tournaments therefore I will stay "disadvantaged".

I run 4 dipsey rods on my boat. Two of them are wire and two are 30 lb PP. Trust me there is a significant difference in the two. Here are a few:

1) Less fleas by far on the wire, braid can almost become unfishable at times

2) I drop more on the PP than I do on wire for some reason

3) I can hit bottom in 70' of water with 220' of wire out on a #1 dipsey on a one setting, 3:1 is a pretty accurate line to depth ratio. Both lines will work well with dipsey divers as far as getting them deep so why not use the one that collects less fleas

4) PP does have a tendency to bite on the spool from time to time, I have not had this problem with wire

Just be careful not to kink it and you will be fine. Good luck!

If you MUST...use braid...why use pp if it gathers fleas at any lb test?..I will tell you the only braid that does not collect fleas is fireline fused original...be sure it is the original...in 30 lb. You will have less fleas than even the wire. I use it year long along side of my wire divers and it will have less fleas collected in the same water for the same period of time trolling. Use fireline if you don't want wire. Forget power pro. Believe me.

Mark

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

From one non professional weekend warrior to another. . I don't doubt your successful with your current program. . I can only repeat what I said. Imo wire will out perform pp. Whatever works for you is ok with me. Just offering an opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I will never run braid on my diver rods- I have two riggers with braid on them and they are the biggest pain in the ass when fleas are in. The Dacron acts like a fly strip to the fleas. I get pissed when I get a little chunk on my downrigger rods I couldn't imagine dealing with them 200' down a braided diver line.

I have 7 rods total. All are braid (spiderwire fusion and fireline). I fish Erie for eyes and Ontario. I try to set my gear up to be used on either lake so I don't need a gazillion set-ups. On Erie, there are some fleas, but not anything like Ontario. Last trip I broke a rod slapping fleas off. I've been thinking about getting a couple wire rods and you guys talked me into it.

I like to be sure of what I'm buying before I go get it. I fish for everything and hunt everything so I need a ton of stuff from decoys to trolling rods to bird dog supplies. Thank you guys for the help on here!

I fish Seneca and the fleas are bad. A know-it all that fishes Ontario told me to get power pro and that would end the flea problem. BIG MISTAKE!! Respooled with wire-no fleas.You know what you can do with that p-p.

I spooled my rigger rods with Blood Run 30# sea flea, they say you can run it year round, going to give a whirl!!

I run 4 dipsey rods on my boat. Two of them are wire and two are 30 lb PP. Trust me there is a significant difference in the two. Here are a few:

1) Less fleas by far on the wire, braid can almost become unfishable at times

2) I drop more on the PP than I do on wire for some reason

3) I can hit bottom in 70' of water with 220' of wire out on a #1 dipsey on a one setting, 3:1 is a pretty accurate line to depth ratio. Both lines will work well with dipsey divers as far as getting them deep so why not use the one that collects less fleas

4) PP does have a tendency to bite on the spool from time to time, I have not had this problem with wire

Just be careful not to kink it and you will be fine. Good luck!

When you say 3:1 do you mean that every 1 foot of wire out it sinks 3 feet? I know there are variables..do you mean 3' when using a flasher and fly to?

That blood run flea line is the sh*t! Put on 100' leaders last week and had a few fleas at my knots only- a week earlier I gave up after two hours as they attacked my 30# mono to the point where I had to pull a rod every 10 minutes to clean it.