Anyone have any luck with PowerPro with the fleas

I'm still not sure why wire catches more fish but I do know some folks swear by the power pro for less fleas and others don't like it.

Don't listen to those folks that tell you power pro will give you less fleas.  You will end up throwing the line out after 1 trip in flea season. You won't even be able to reel the line in with the amount of accumulation you will get.

Wire catches more salmon for a few reasons:

- it has a great sink rate (3:1) because it is heavier and thinner than anything else out there.

- it creates a humming sound in the water due to vibration which attract salmon.

I guess I don't understand what is so tough/tricky about running wire that people think it is so difficult...

Set up your rod... twilly or no-twilly (but watch the guide for wear).

Tape the arbor and spool the wire on tight.

Use a wire knot for the terminal swivel (quality snap swivel).

When handling the rod in the boat, keep the swivel tight to the rod tip.

When netting/unhooking/changing f/f keep the dipsy reeled right to the rod tip or hanging, don't let the dipsy set on the deck/gunnel and allow the wire to slack and curl. On my boat it gets reeled to the rod tip because I don't want it swinging.

If you have to re-terminate or breakdown the rod for storage check the wire to make sure it didn't curl while it was slacked. Before you put weight on it.

Make sure people don't pump and reel too bad so you have sloppy wraps on the reel.

Most of this boils down to DON'T LET IT SLACK AND CURL. Paying attention to that one detail is the real trick.

Edited by Broadhorizons

Skipper does have a point about a big difference between fire line original and power pro. I would only use power pro for backing. It would suck to have riggers with power pro!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app....Doug

Skipper does have a point about a big difference between fire line original and power pro. I would only use power pro for backing. It would suck to have riggers with power pro!

Thanks Doug, I was skeptical about using the braid of any kind on divers with the flea issue, but after using the Fireline Fused Original 30lb. for 3 seasons now, it still works to a great advantage even over the wire. The Fireline has a slick coating on it and it works! Last weekend during the Sandy Creek Shootout, I ran 4 divers off each side at once. Two on the outside, 3 setting on Malin 7, two on the inside .5 setting on Fireline, and the fireline had less fleas than the wire did for the same water and time trolling. When there was any fleas stuck to the fireline, it was just very small clumps, separated by 25 to 50 feet, that easily fell off when slapped once on the water, and most times it got reeled straight up into the guides and fell off because my team members of two young 14 year olds were extra aggressive at wanting a fish in the boat...LOL!...and still no problem, it fell off in the guide. The Malin 7 had fleas about a foot long on the wire at the swivel and thick. They had to be plucked off, unlike the fireline. You simply can't slap wire with fleas at the swivel and dipsy to rid them, you have to pick at it.

I absolutely swear by its effectiveness at flea reduction and fish ability. Friendly to handle, catches fish as good as wire, and so far 3 seasons of weekend warrior fishing it still works! This weekend was proof positive and witnessed by all 4 of my teammates and myself, as being a real asset for dipsy trolling.

Mark

Will a Scotty power grip hold fire line fine when pulling a 1 dipsey or possibly a mag? I forgot that with fire line you can just slap the fleas of, try it with wire and most likely you can say good bye to the dipsey, flasher, and fly! That is defeniatly a big plus over wire. I still prefer wire but want a couple fire line setups for off the boards, you can cover most depths that way if your lacking copper.

Ok guys so if I wanna rig up some good all purpose, all season reels i'm thinking the consensus is 30 lb sea flee. How much do I wanna spool to a reel? what do I use for backing or a leader to avoid the flea's and how much in this case?

Doug, I have put 30lb. fireline in a scotty pinch release and it will hold on the hard setting for the 0 dipsey . I haven't run a 1 or bigger dipsy off of boards and not sure how wave action yanking at them would affect the grip.

The way I have run a 0 dipsy is off a down rigger cable stacked as a out and down on my outboard downriggers with a scotty pinch release. It holds but is very speed sensitive and can sometimes pull out. I have gone to shower curtain clips and a rubber band half hitched to the fireline and clipped into the shower curtain ring and then the shower curtain ring clipped around the rigger cable. The dipsey is controlled to a certain depth by the line counter on the reel by just letting the dipsey slowly pull the shower curtain ring down the cable and stopping it with the reel and rod. Again, I have only used the little 0 dipsey in the pinch pad and it was a little slippery to get a consistent hold. I like the shower curtain ring and rubber band setup. It's something you could experiment with, but the 0 dipsey has its limitations on depth. I get good depth with the ring sliding down the cable as there is not as much leading line out to the dipsy....only about 40 to 60 feet. Then the ring climbs down the cable with the rod and reel to a depth around 20 to 30 feet above the ball. It's not the most user friendly way to run downriggers but it can produce hits from fish that shy away from the cables.

I think you will find the bigger dipsey will pull out too easy on fireline and scotty releases. You might try the rubber band approach, I can't remember what size rubber band holds the dipsey. Blue ones I have are enough for a 0 dipsey without breaking too easy. I think red ones I have seen are heavier.

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've used the Blood Run Sea Flea 30 lb mono for a couple weeks on two downrigger rods  on both Canandaigua Lake and Lake Ontario. It works very well as an anti flea line...much better than wire for sure and I believe even better than 30 lb. Big Game mono. On the downside (at least with downrigger use) it has enormous stretch to it. I have to keep tightening up my lines a lot. At first I thought it was the release slipping or something but it is definitely significant line stretch ...more than I've ever seen in any other line. It's great for keeping the fleas off but the stretch is something to be aware of.