Humminbird Side Imaging?

Gman

The more research I do regarding a new sonar/gps unit the more I start to read and think I should really consider the Humminbird side imaging units. Most of my fishing is trolling and it would be really good to know what is out 200+' to either side and what's below - no? More information is better?

Anyone from here have one or seen in action?

What are the Humminbird charts like compared to the charts I would buy for Lowrance detail wise?

Why aren't more trollers using the side imaging technology on the great lakes, is it due to cost and the fact it's still relatively new?

What has anyone heard good or bad?

On another site I read the Humminbird units are notorious for condensation and reliability - is this why?

I've often heard thru the "boards" Humminbird can't track squat and that is one of my concerns - rigger tracking. I must admit however, my buddy purchased a Humminbird last season and it tracked his riggers flawlessly.

I know Pat Kirby of Tall Tales has one and swears by it and we always end up talking about it. He shows some pretty cool pictures when I'm there. Some real cool yet helpful info appears.

I've spent some good time reading this Humminbird link -

http://www.humminbird.com/leading_innov ... sonar.aspx

And found some helpful info here -

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/f ... =1#M292149

Cheers Gman

Dear Gman,

Side imaging is a wonderfull idea for GL trolling. The few individuals who have spent $5000+ on the thru hull boom units could target a single fish 200' from the side of their boat and calculate the depth of the fish! Professional/Commercial grade electronics are capable of doing this. All Humming Bird does is input computer grapics which can make a school of baitfish look great! They make nothing (in my Opinion)for the GL troller. This company makes their profit from the Bassmaster Boat OEM electronics business. they care very little about the Salmon Trolling market in the Great Lakes or NW, USA.

Cold, (dense) water operation of sonar equipment is a special field that requires excellent equipment and the knowledge of how to operate it!

Us amateurs are only scratching the surface!

Of course you are on the best side of the lake for a side scanner too!

Your fish are in the top 40 ft of water due to the cold water upwellings from Toronto Island to Oshawa. The finest Chinook fishing in LO was in July. great Memories of the late 80,s!.............Jet Boat Bill

I have the Matrix 37 and found it to be a pretty good unit for the price which at the time was in the window of what I could afford. I know that in discussing it with others they did mention the Hummingbird being good for bass fishing. Did have it die on me this past year after having it for only 1 and half years. They charged me $89 flat rate to repair it plus my cost of shipping it to them. Don't use the side view much but have tinkered with it some. You can hook up your hand held gps to it by just buying a plug for it. Picks up the rigger ball so so at times. Not a bad unit for the $$. I have fished on both Ray K or Jax boats and can't remember what there units were (they have the same) but there units were nice and I don't think they were that much more $$. I am sure you can contact both of them and they will give you the skinny.

Research, research!