Which hooks are the sharpest and best way to keep them sharp

I just started loosing numerous fish the last couple of weeks and believe a good percentage are from less than SHARP hooks. I started looking close and have noticed a huge differance in how sharp some brand new hooks are. I also have inspected the hooks after loosing fish and found 2 sharp points and the third on the treble bent over.

What brand hooks do you guys think start out sharp and stay sharp the longest?

What is the best way to sharpen them once the start to dull?

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I continue to be impressed with the level of knowledge on this site and the willingness to share that knowledge with us less experianced guys.

I've done it a number of ways over the years but I think the best result is with a fine grade file. You file the point by filing from the barb toward the point on three sides of the hook. I then test it by feel.... on my thumb or finger very carefully and gently and it is right when it just catches your skin. Diamond chip sharpeners also do a good job but I prefer the first method over them. I use Mustad Stainless steel triple x or 5x Siwash salmon hooks as they sharpen the best and are sharpest usually from the factory.

Edited by Sk8man

Most of the hooks that come on production lures are horribly dull right out of the package, especially the chrome plated ones. 

Most new lures get the hooks touched up as sk8man describes, before I ever put them in the water.

Tim

when it comes down to sharp there's really only one "factory" sharp hook..... Gamakatsu !!!!! yes, there expensive but we don't go out and spend $30,000 on a boat and ???? on gas, to loose fish. Almost everything I own has them.  

Gamakatsu are sticky sharp! Unfortunately the ones I currently have are weak and I bend them easily if not careful. The ones I speak of are for trolling flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app....Doug

Another excellent hook, besides the ones already mentioned above, are the Mustad Ultra Point KVD series treble hooks; right out of the box, they will stick into your thumb nail instead of sliding off. When I sharpen factory hooks I find I get the sharpest points with the least effort using a Luhr Jensen Hook File, but, I think it's just a matter of learning how to use whichever tool you choose. I keep one with the fixed handle in my tackle box at home, and one with the rubber tubing and snap on my pant's belt loop when fishing so it's always at hand; I can check and touch up every hook before it goes out.

Edited by John E Powell

ahh sometimes i try to figure out everything on hookin up ........with fish too...any hook will get a fish sharpened or not,,but ant no doubt youll get less realeases and hookups with a dull hook..here is my pee brain theory....hav ya ever cut yerself with a razor sharp knife and not even felt it till it was too late? well super sharpened hooks (by hand)probly does the same thing to a fish..by the time its sensitive moulth feelsthe pressure of a sharpened hook it has already penetrated the point in its thin skin and is well on its way for a good hookset ....a dull hook is felt before it starts to "sink in" and the fish has a split second to spit the hook ....(two sides sharpen only not 3)

• 2 weeks later...

For mine the 2/0 on the Nk28's and 3/0 on mags - single Mustad stainless steel 3x or 5x Siwash Salmon hooks work fine.