XD with Chamberlain Release

Has anyone run chamberlain downrigger releases with the XD probe on their rigger? I am not sure what order to connect everything. Since the release is inline with the cable if I put it below the probe do I risk having my fishing line tangling with the probe? Or should I just connect the release right above the probe an keep the line somewhat away from it? Any thoughts / help is appreciated.

I emailed the company today asking about the wire used in the release as I read somewhere that they increased the size of the wire. Point being my releases were the original thinner wire release and I always worried about them giving away on the heavier balls. The company said they they increased the diameter of the wire but that many people are cutting the wire, removing the remaining wire and threading the cable right thru the release. Then terminate the end as usual. Then use a stop bead to prevent the release from sliding up the cable. The guy replying said he uses Scotty stop beads. I did a quick search and was able to find one picture showing a rigger set up that way but the guy that posted the picture used toothpicks and match sticks to keep it from riding up the cable and he was basically using it like a stacker not the main release. The way I see it is if I can eliminate an added link in the chain I'll do it. I plan on setting my riggers up this way for trial this weekend.

Spike

I have run them threaded on my Depth Raider rigger. Watch for signs of separation on the release plastic after time.  But 20 bucks for a new release is a lot better than a new probe. The stop beads work but will creep overtime depending how much you load up your rods.

Edited by dawg

I have run them threaded on my Depth Raider rigger. Watch for signs of separation on the release plastic after time.  But 20 bucks for a new release is a lot better than a new probe. The stop beads work but will creep overtime depending how much you load up your rods.

Good points. I wonder if you could just thread the cable thru the wire lead of the Chamberlain and use the snap to hold it in place by running it thru the cable terminating snap. I'll have to check out all options before committing.

Spike

Edited by CaptSpike