Flea Removing Trick's

My wire dipsey's have been coming in with about 2 ft. of flea on them lately. I started thinking that there had to be an easier way to get it off other than picking it off an making a mess. Looked around and saw a pen and HMMM. I put the rod in a holder, pulled on the wire to keep it tight and rubbed the plastic pen body over the flea. The flea falls off with just a few stroke's.   If the flea is all balled up from bringing in a fish this still works you just have to push a little harder.  Do you guy's have any other trick's that work?

just pull/drag the collected fleas down the wire to a compressed ball of fleas and cut them off with the wire, the abrasiveness of the wire saws right through them. 

Picking them off of mono on the other hand, is a miserable operation, it's easier to cut the swivel off, slide the clump of fleas off and reterminate.

Tim

Wire line - tighten drag and power through the fleas. They will ball up at the end of the rod and by forcing the the line past them they will be sawed off. Or ball them up and run them up and down the tight wire to saw them by hand.

Mono - keep line TIGHT to the rod by pulling down on line. Hold line under the fleas with ur left hand and pull the line so it's tight and there's a bend in the rod. Then with you right hand pluck the mono and flick them off. If you have to keep pulling back till your flick is hard enough to launch them off.

I have a stainless rod that I run across the line both wire and mono.  They drop right off and have had no problems with it chafing the wire or mono. 

Interesting. What is the science behind that method? What size rod?

Don't really know, had a gaff that I cut the point off and had in the boat, happened to have it in my hand one day when I brought a dipsy in ran it against the wire and the fleas just dropped off.  Works great when you have a fish on, you just reach up and run it up and down the line while your buddy reels.  Rod is 1/4 in. Maybe.

For Mono, reel the line up till the wad of fleas is 10-15 ft from the tip; put tip under water and whip it out of the water.  Surface will cut them right off.  I tried smacking the tip against the water & guess it was one heck of a smack as the rod broke. :(

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I have the ugly stick dipsy rods with roller tip which cuts them off. For fireline braid divers you can use the surface tension of the surface water to pull them off by using a whip-up-down motion with the rod. For braid downrigger cable I just run it thru my fingers. For 30lb mono rigger line you can use whip technique as well.

Edited by Gill-T

• 2 weeks later...