Otisco super slam 7-30

Tracy and I took her girlfriends husband out this afternoon around 4. He is a bass guy and had seen the pic of tracy's big tiger and wanted us to take him out for one. So I set up my musky rods with shorter set backs so I could get them in tighter on the west side points and walleye set ups on the inside, riggers and core down the chute. Halfway down our troll I get in on a point and outside rod starts screaming...get him on it and when I go to clear the core rod 2nd musky rod is screaming harder...get tracy putting pressure on that one...core is cleared get the net and now we have a real nice 36" plus tiger in the net...get it unhooked quick and tell him to hold the net and keep the tigers head down in the water...get up to help Tracy and she cant budge her fish off bottom...I get on the rod and start really leaning it (80 lb braid 50 lb flouro leader extra heavy st croix)...im thinking carp but its hooked in the mouth...I work him in and its a HUGE carp...I start thinking I need another net when I look over to jason and he is trying to peek up to see the carp and dips the net and we have a good release before he gets his pic...so I tell him to net my carp...lol...carp was hooked in the mouth with a tdd11 26 ft down...all said and done we land a carp, a tiger, 1 nice 22" eye, 4 browns, 2smb, and I stopped trolling so he can get a lmb. 6 species caught in 4hrs.

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151276-13752467673528_thumb.jpg

post-151276-13752468039504_thumb.jpg

Unclemike,

First and foremost if you want a nice tiger do some research on a proper net, proper tackle, necessary tools, and proper handling for catch and release or trophy. Trust me when i tell you...you need a plan to handle these fish...especially if you want a safe release. To me the ability to be ABLE to catch and release these magnificent fish is the real challenge...not killing it.

Im not a real musky hunter, but if you are referring to otisco i can tell you how i do it. First and hardest part, you have to have some idea where the points are and about where the 20 ft breakline is on each point...then you setup a rapala sr9 or tdd9 in perch to run 18 ft down off boards...then troll 3-3.5 running the bait along and over the points primarily on the west side but can be done on the east too. Its all about location...if you troll to close you'll drag, and too far out and you get nothing...i fish this lake a ton, but go into it knowing it might take several trips. I do this running 6 to 9 rods using side imaging so i can fish for walleye and browns and smb covering a wide range of depths at the same time otherwise you are looking at prob avg 1 bite every other trip...patience and fish hard tigers and eyes are catchable.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's an awesome story.  I agree with your statement on musky fishing - Be prepared for after you catch it or you likely have killed it.  Justin, your reports make me want to go fish Otisco.  I don't plan on it, but you got me thinking about it.

Tight lines,

Joe

Joe,

As you know its more about hard work, constant learning, patience, and a true love of fishing than going to a certain lake. Granted the species must be present to catch it, but I don't know anywhere that big fish just jump in your boat....and the damn carp in the Illinois river? don't count! But a reliable fishing report never hurt...

btw the feeling the guy gets biting the peppermint patty is the feeling I get fishing too...even in the rain...but when I get someone else on good fish its indescribable!! Of course watching them release their trophy prematurely to see a carp is absolutely priceless!!!

justin

Great report and nice mirror carp. Haven't seen one of those in many a moon. Course, I haven't targeted carp since I was a kid, when we used to corn, doughball, even bacon them up.....commons, leathers, mirrors, and escaped orange and blue "backyard pond" goldfish, all in the same waters....BTW, those orange and blue goldfish got large in those lakes in the wild....