Sodus Point July 30th Evening aboard the Green Dolphin

Made it out last night and figured I would work on my brown program.Headed west a couple of miles and dropped probe in at 65 FOW. Water was about 70 degrees all of the way to the bottom. Headed North to about 90 FOW and found cold water down about 80 down. Set up my Brown program and trolled west toward Hughes. Picked up a couple of 6 or 7 pound Browns within and hour or maybe a little longer. Headed out deeper and set up a salmon program with 3 riggers, 3 wires, and a couple of 500 foot coppers. Picked away for the next few hours and managed a couple of steelhead, and 4 or 5 Salmon. Released one of the Steelhead and a couple of the Salmon. A few of the Kings were pretty nice with the largest being 28.5 lbs. The largest on this boat so far!!!

Here is the 28.5 lber caught by Jason AKA "Zebedee"

king28-5.jpg

Here are the 3 nicest of the night.

kings3.jpg

And here is the pile just before cleaning....the boat and the fish!!!

kingpile.jpg

All in all it was a great night. One of my best this year. I think we ended up with 8 or 9 fish and dropped one or two.

Nice night for you guys. Congrats on setting a new boat record.

How deep did you have to go to find the Kings?

We picked them up from 120 out to about 200. Most of the big kings were about 100 down.

Edited by stoutner

ok, how do you release a fish from cold water depths up to 70 degree water and have them survive?

First, get the fish back in the water as fast as possible, either by holding onto the tail so water rushes by and through their gills, or under their gill so water again runs through their mouth and by their gills. Wag them back and forth in the water and when you feel them start to kick (usually after a minute or two), point their nose down and give them a shove via their tail down in the water. We have very good success at watching them swim away. I'll try to get a video of how we do it and post for everyone to see tomorrow or Friday...

Edited by Finders Keepers

First, get the fish back in the water as fast as possible, either by holding onto the tail so water rushes by and through their gills, or under their gill so water again runs through their mouth and by their gills. Wag them back and forth in the water and when you feel them start to kick (usually after a minute or two), point their nose down and give them a shove via their tail down in the water. We have very good success at watching them swim away. I'll try to get a video of how we do it and post for everyone to see tomorrow or Friday...

What about the temp difference? I have been informed that bringing fish up from colder water into the warmer surface water pretty much is DOA. Also, with the big kings and how they fight the lactic acids and stress that builds up they are gonna die no matter what? Just what I have heard. One member on this forum had a real slick trick of landing with boga grip that was tied to the boat. remove hook while keeping in water, let the fish troll along side hooked to the boga grip for 5 minutes or so then simply release. thought that was cool

What about the temp difference? I have been informed that bringing fish up from colder water into the warmer surface water pretty much is DOA. Also, with the big kings and how they fight the lactic acids and stress that builds up they are gonna die no matter what? Just what I have heard. One member on this forum had a real slick trick of landing with boga grip that was tied to the boat. remove hook while keeping in water, let the fish troll along side hooked to the boga grip for 5 minutes or so then simply release. thought that was cool

We did just what Tim said. We sent back a 3 or 4 lb steelie and it swam away after a little reviving and the others were small 20" -24" Kings that revived quick and swam away. The bigger ones usually get filleted :)