Hit the water today around 7am. Had the itch bad after only getting one last Friday when the east winds were blowing, got a nice video of it being released on a GoPro if anyone is interested. First thing we noticed was the surface temp - the surface was in the mid-50s near shore. Fished for an hour around 100 FOW no takers. Out to 150 FOW same result. Blasted out to 300+ FOW (was mid-to-high 60s on the surface here), had our first mark and a knockoff but nothing after that. Decided to go back in shallow to 58F (~200 FOW). Got a nice coho, on a blue and silver grandma lure, and a couple king shakers so we decided to change our rods for ultra lights and spinning reels. Naturally the next two fish we got were ~20lb kings. They were a tonne of fun on 8lb mono with a 6' ugly stick. First one hit on a watermellon NK Mag (now chrome as it stripped the colour off - see attached image) around 11:00 and the second hit on a blue-and-chrome ripplin around 12:30. The rain started to come and steaks were waiting at home so we called it a day. Was nice catching some fish in the top 60' of the water column for a change. Cooler temps made releasing much quicker as well, if only the drive home on the QEW wasn't always such a gongshow.

post-150547-0-85883900-1375300294_thumb.jpg

post-150547-0-55933600-1375361220_thumb.jpg

Edited by afterschools

Thanks for the report as I was out Monday night and was confronted with the same cold water temps! Tought to find the fish but managed to land and release three in the 12-17lb range! I agree it's nice to catch fish up high and have them swim off so quickly during release!

I was out yesterday and got a 13lbs on a Atomic/ flasher set up in 140ft at 47ft deep. I'm running 30lb test and the damn thing cut my other line when it ran out on me. To catch one with a 8lbs line must be a hell of a good time. ( I salvaged the other flasher and spoon but lost 140 ft of line in the process, I got off easy)

post-151556-0-95276000-1375307918_thumb.jpg

Truth be told, we've done crazier. And by crazier I mean 6lb mono and 5' ultralight ugly sticks with 15lb salt water snook in Florida :lol:. Today was fun though. I imagine had they been 5lbs heavier or more we would have had to chase a few times. It was really just a waiting game. Let them do their runs and eventually they'll be too tired and come to the surface, can't really do anything else! It was likely a blessing we had the second one on light line. Had we had it on our regular setup the tighter drag may have ripped the single siwash right out of its mouth - it wasn't in there by much - so who knows. It'll be interesting to see how the surface temp is come the weekend... I like this top-water fishing!

Will likely try and get a friend of mine from England out salmon fishing for the first time on Sunday or Monday. If you guys find where the big boys are posts are always appreciated. We let everything go so you won't even know we've been there!