Trusting the Sub Troll

2nd time out with it.   Last week, I was finding 49 degree water down 60- 70 feet or so.

Today, I had to drop to 110-130 to find the same temps.  Started out in 230 fow, and worked my way in.

Being brand new to all this, is this a real life fact, or has the sub troll some how been broken already?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

2nd time out with it. Last week, I was finding 49 degree water down 60- 70 feet or so.

Today, I had to drop to 110-130 to find the same temps. Started out in 230 fow, and worked my way in.

Being brand new to all this, is this a real life fact, or has the sub troll some how been broken already?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Temp is down now from the NW wind the other day.

yup, temps do that, depending on the wind direction, and that is precisely WHY you need a probe :)  along with the screwy subsurface currents out there.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

I was surprised at first to see the temps fluctuate 20 feet or so from day to day but once I figured it wasn't lying I was darn glad I bought it.

There have been times where the temperature has fluctuated 20 feet in the same day.  I know it's hard to beleive the instrument sometimes, but with a good battery in it, it won't lie.

The extremely strong currents out there lately raise H with the thermocline and water column temps and combines with wind changes and the result looks like a "roller coaster" in terms of the temp profile

Thanks all!  The funny thing was even though the lower temps were further down, all the marks I saw were still in the 55-70 range (68-71 degree water according to the sub troll).

Guessing they will come out of the cold zone to feed?

Some of your marks might have been bait. Actively feeding fish will 100% travel we'll out on their comfort zone for food. We've had many days out in 450-500 FOW where Steelhead will chase bait all the way to the surface and break out of the water (surface temp well into the upper 70's). We'd flatline spoons and pick up fish maybe in the upper 2-3'.

I was out last night and had 46* water down 55' but also picked up fish down 35' in 65-70* water which I assume we're chasing bait.

CAN SOMEONE POST A PIC OF HOW THIS ATTACHES TO THE DOWNRIGGER? ALSO, DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO LET OUT ALL THE CABLE AT THE SAME TIME YOU ARE LETTING YOUR BALL DOWN?

The unit comes with its own coated cable, that you attach to the probe using wire crimps.  This coated cable will replace your existing downrigger wire.

Below the probe, you attach a cannon ball with a short wire leader.   The probe goes down with your cannonball.

There is an antenna that attaches to the body of your downrigger that picks up the signal, and that is attached to the display you mount on the boat.

post-151958-0-52299200-1375389308_thumb.jpg

Pretty nifty set up actually.   Easy to install as well.  You aren't letting out two wires at the same time.

DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO LET OUT ALL THE CABLE AT THE SAME TIME YOU ARE LETTING YOUR BALL DOWN?

Huh???  Your ball won't go down unless you let out the cable. Your ball is attached to the cable (Am I missing something here?)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

He may have thought the unit was a separate, self contained unit, and that you had to juggle dropping your cannonball, letting out line from your rod,

as well as paying out cable that was part of the sub troll.

Jim:   Subtroll is not broken, the temp just changed. You will find the Subtroll to be a bit of a pain when you have >150' of cable out as often it loses signal. To remedy this, wrap a wet towel around the antenna pick up on your downrigger boom. It works like magic. Also, keep an eye on your speed. Often times when it changes dramatically without a change in boat speed (i.e. 2.4 to 3.1 let's say) it means you have a skipper on the line or squirly current

Adk1:  The Subtroll uses one cable, the coated downrigger cable which is both your retrieve cable for your ball and the transmission cable for the unit. It goes (in order from boat to lake bottom):

Downrigger......coated cable crimped to a termination connector (metal U-shaped connector it comes with).......coast lock swivel.....Black's Release.......Probe..........small 1' section of 150# test cable terminated to another stainless swivel......downrigger ball

Some dudes use this special Klincher connector (I also think Moor sells it now) which allows you to remove the probe. I simply use a #150 coast lock swivel and tape it as best I can

88-088-032.JPG

Love the unit, simple to use and install, awesome Moor customer service

Good luck,

- Chris

Easier connection termination is to strip off some insulation coating and use the wire line knot. Less drag...more stealth...less expensive....and stronger.

That it's what I use and works great. User it on all my downrigger terminations.

Sent from my thinking chair...