Frabill Pro-Formance net model 5530 48-96 in telescopic handle

Last week, I was quite surprised but not necessarily amused when, attempting to land a Steelhead on lake Ontario, the entire net assembly (basket and handle) slid off from its rubber grip and fell in the water of  Lake Ontario.  It floated just long enough to give me a last tease and then started sinking when the water ingressed  the telescopic handle.  With three other lines in the water and moving forward and my GF holding on to the fishing rod, our options were somewhat limited to watch it sink and stare at the empty rubber grip still in my hand.  For those considering purchasing a landing net for Lake Ontario fishing, this might be one thing you may want to keep in mind...either securing the grip of their Frabill net or look at another product.

I casted a beautiful St. Croix/Pflueger Walleye jig rod set-up right out of my hand once.

I stood there in total awe, watching that sink...........I even think I remember a small tear in the corner of my eye......lol.

Hate losing gear of any kind.

Sooner or later your going to lose something to "Davey Jones" .... in my 30 years I've drop a bunch of pliers, sunglasses, scales, complete outfits (rod holder broke when a KING smashed it) and yes a $145 Beckman net. Now everything has a lanyard to keep it tight to the boat.

On a lighter note when you do replace your net take the handle off (or rubber grip) buy a $5 swim noodle and take your knife and cut a strip that fills the handle. Doesn't seem like much but it WILL float your net. A little trick learned the hard way

For many years (after losing my good net on Seneca) I've filled the handle with styrofoam beads and peanuts and then hot glue the handle tip on.... :)

Edited by Sk8man

Both my nets are filled with spray foam from the hardware store. plugged the end with the spring mechanism so not to foam it in with a long straw, filled the cavity until it came out the other end, Cut off extra when dried. I used one can for both nets with more to spare. Probable could have done three nets with the one can or more. They both floated in my pool perfectly when done.

Good luck and tight lines to all.

Richard, great idea! My loss to Davey, a February am going after seneca gold, in a brothers Ranger, yea, eyes watering, going down the lake, maybe 20 degrees, felt something fly by me, what was that? 2 of my buddies perch rods that I didn't latch down on the bow, when we get to our spot, realize rods were gone! Still think about them when I'm pulling wire there in the spring.