Pike and Walleye trolling. What to use?

Kuba

I will be going away to my friends cottage for the weekend and wonder what I can use out of my "big O" arsenal.

It consists of about 70 spoons, some green flies and plugs. What colors would work? I also have about 15 rapala bait sticks.

Lake is fairly deep and has pike, trout, walleye etc..

I will be using dipseys

I have done some trolling for pike out of a small boat.  The classic "Pike spoon" is a Daredevil red with white stripe.  They seem to like Frog patterns too.  I caught my largest northern trolling a River Runt, which is an old school plug.  It had a yellow and green honeycomb pattern.  Unfortunately I lost that lure, but other river runts do well if you can get ahold of them.  They also seem to hit just about any lure a bass would hit, if you are in an area with both bass and northern you can catch a lot of both with the same lures.

I don't know what lake you're on but in a lot of places topwater casting really heats up at dusk.  If you can get in right next to some lilly pad beds and fish a small or medium sized jitterbug along the edge of the lillies it can make for some explosive action for bass and northerns.

I've never had too much luck with walleye.

I will be fishing Lake Muskoka. I caught a 22lb northern there few years back and a nice sized walleye. Both fish of the dock wirh live bait.

Sent from my Lenovo P770 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I tend to do well with walleye with perch colored sticks. Pike, spoons with an aggressive motion, anything with a bright red/orange/lime face and a silver back in a large size. Also the occasional crank bait.

perch, or gold.cranks, also pretty much any hot n tot are my walleye goto's.   always seem to do better with walleyes off the boards, especially in under 40fow.because it gets ur spread out from under the boat.  . We do alright on Oneida with the michigan stinger scorpion spoons too.

Not sure what this lake is like but I used to used mostly Minnesota and Canadian Shield lakes growing up for walleye.  This time of year the best fishing should be be on steep dropoffs and rock humps in the main lake.  If you have some braid on your rigs you can just tie on 10 feet or so of 10lb flouro or mono and buy a few 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs.  Slow drift or anchor and jig live bait in 20-35 FOW right on the bottom around places where it quickly drops off into the depths.  Walleye will be suspended over the main lake if it has cisco or other baitfish and move into the humps to feed.  You can troll for these suspended walleye over the main lake morning and evening but like others said, deep divers off boards will probably outproduce dipsy.  Along the deep weed edge you should be able to troll and pick up both walleye and pike with any diving crankbait that is 4-6 inch long, I also used to do best with perch color too.

Edited by ymailchris

Consider trolling worm harnesses with live night crawlers or rubber worms (motor oil, black or purple color works well) for the walleyes. Heavy "wobbling" spoons (or stickbaits like the Rapala or Yozuri (with a couple large split shot) for the pike in the 4-6 inch size run back from 75-150 ft back (top lined) at the outside edge of weed beds. As mentioned above the red and white and also the black and white daredevil spoon (larger sizes) work very well for pike.

Edited by Sk8man

Kuba.. We do a lot of trolling for suspended walleye and use similar gear as the Lake O guys. 30# braid on Daiwa 27 and 17 linecounters. Size 11 and 13 Rapalas work fine as well as smaller spoons, although we upsize on Lake Erie. Besides using dipsies.. as already mentioned.. I like using boards.. and usually use snap weights or keel sinkers to attain the depth I want. Don't know about the pike as I never target them, but I'd suspect that the edges of weedlines would be a good starting place. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)