Research buoy out in front of Irondequoit Bay

Well, we didnt see it until it was almost underneath us.  caught both side down riggers and both wires, luckily we were able to stop and try and collect all our stuff.

The buoy is located almost at 150 FOW just north of the L crook out in front of webster.

Terrapenn

post-141728-0-31369700-1375366165_thumb.jpg

Edited by TerraPenn

Well my friend - I smoked it on my first trip of the season in May and I was not so lucky. One probe, torpedo, entire copper set up, one entire wire Dipsy plus tackle, coated rigger cable, release, and two mono set ups all toast......

I have it set up as a danger waypoint but I thought it was a little further west. Nonetheless, be careful out there. i'm sure glad it's marked with a narrow 1' tall buoy that's easy to see in building seas........there's better markers laying around Mayer's scrap yard for crying out loud

- Chris

Well my friend - I smoked it on my first trip of the season in May and I was not so lucky. One probe, torpedo, entire copper set up, one entire wire Dipsy plus tackle, coated rigger cable, release, and two mono set ups all toast......

I have it set up as a danger waypoint but I thought it was a little further west. Nonetheless, be careful out there. i'm sure glad it's marked with a narrow 1' tall buoy that's easy to see in building seas........there's better markers laying around Mayer's scrap yard for crying out loud

- Chris

What isn't laying around Mayer's? haha

Yes - I called it in to them in May as a navigational hazard as at the time I didn't know what I hit (we thought it was a buoy with tethers that had broke free from something and was free floating). They were unaware of it at that time, but folks have posted on this site that it is a research buoy so I'm sure they know about it now.

I'd love to get my gear back if possible - especially the torpedo and probe.

- Chris

We ran our gear into it back in May as well. Thankfully we were lucky enough to get it all back after 30 minutes of careful manuvering. We actually saw it soon enough but 20-30 yards of leeway wasn't enough apparently. It seems like it moves around out there, I remember seeing it out in front of the bay and east of it this year.

By the way, great name Terrapenn. I am assuming you are referring to a rare and different tune.

:@ We think the USGS is moving them around. One day their in 160 FOW, another day we saw one in 40 off Forest Lawn. Also saw them off Durand beach. They do sneak up on you if you're just looking for other boats. I've heard of numerous guys snagging them. :@