Big walleye

jcar585

springwater rod and gun club used to stock it yearly with walleye, apparently the DEC polled a bunch of fisherman and decided that they wanted to focus on creating a naturally sustaining rainbow population. After that happened, I guess they pulled Springwaters permit to stock. Personally I would love to see a healthy walleye population in Hemlock, there are tons of trout lakes.

springwater rod and gun club used to stock it yearly with walleye, apparently the DEC polled a bunch of fisherman and decided that they wanted to focus on creating a naturally sustaining rainbow population. After that happened, I guess they pulled Springwaters permit to stock. Personally I would love to see a healthy walleye population in Hemlock, there are tons of trout lakes.

I admit that I haven't looked real hard or spent hours doing a study, however, I have seen rainbow parr in the creeks.  I haven't seen juvie walleyes/fry in the Creeks.  I agree with you.  I think it would be much nicer to see sustainable walleye.  I bet there are a lot more people who disagree with us than agree with us.  I noticed the warm water lakes are getting pressure this year.  Maybe this is a good indicator for the DEC in future decisions, kinda like that with Owasco. 

To the original post.  That is a beautiful fish regardless of where it came from.  I definitely would be proud of that one.  Yes, I knew right away where you caught it.  Beautiful lake.

Tight lines,

Joe

I think the trout and salmon guys are more active as a group and therefore the dec listens to them. Walleye fisherman are notorious for being a more secretive bunch. The walleye guys arent as organized and therefore dont get the dec's attention. The fingerlakes mean trout and its because of active trout anglers who help preserve trout water and promote the fish they seek. Walleye fisherman would get a lot more attention if we banded together. Now we have a muskies inc chapter in western ny that was started on this site. If anyone else out there has any ideas on this im all ears. Just look at the views on every walleye topic, yet only a dozen of us or so post anything about the fish that we catch. The dec doesnt even know how many guys target walleye because they are tight lipped. Most guys wont even mention the name of the lake the fish came from let alone details. It starts with sharing and organizing as a group. We have enough walleye fisherman here on this site to make a difference if we simply do what the other groups do....

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For most of us  folks who fish for them that is the fish of a lifetime in the Finger Lakes....great pic and fish...good going! Gives the rest of us incentive to keep after them.

Les

Edited by Sk8man

Back in the 80's, N.Y. instituted a major push to develop and increase walleye throughout the state. They even put out a hefty publication (magazine like) of their efforts and results and other info. Had it and lost it somewhere. They are in many waters and Hemlock regularly produces giants. Don't know, however if DEC is continuing to stock into there or anything else about ongoing DEC walleye enhancement activities (if any at all). Sure would like to know......

Any finger lake that has a huge population of alewife isn't going to see any walleye reproduction. All the walleye plankton gettin eatin by the alewife before they even get to be a fingerling. Not a single walleye in hemlock or Conesus was born there. Everyone of them are stocked fish.