salt water to fresh water?

tlr426

From previous experience salt water boats are best left alone. But I am wondering if that is just issolated to a bad boat purchase from florida. I am wondering if there are specific things that need to be checked before a salt water boat would be purchased. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a boat expert or mechanic but I have been around both environments for a long time (saltwater and freshwater). A few things come to mind. 

The first major thing is in the salt water environment corrosion is a major player in nearly every contact with metal of nearly any type (brass may be the exception). That is one reason they place "sacrificial" anodes on marine engine lower units so that the corrosive water eats up the anode instead of the engine parts.

The salt water in addition to being corrosive also forms deposits (minerals etc.) and corrosion inside engines. Most engine manufacturers strongly suggest flushing out the engines with FRESH water after use to help prolong their life and help negate some of the harsh adverse effects. many people do not heed these warnings and continue to use their boats without regard to this. often this is damage that is unseen until the results rear their ugly head in the form of failures of various types or premature aging of parts. I've actually been with boat owners at Cape Cod who trailered their boats home and said "I've never worried about flushing the engine".

Most marine hulls of boats in the saltwater environment are painted with special paint that helps keep marine life (e.g. barnacles etc.), various fungi moss, and molds from attaching and sometimes damaging the integrity of the finish or actual structure in some cases (fiberglass, wood, and aluminum hulls can be affected)

Marine electronics, battery connections and wiring itself can be extremely adversely affected by the salt water ((e.g constant spray etc) and engine electronics can be greatly compromised by the salt and corrosion.

Many of the places near salt water are very hot climates and severe heat and high water temps can effect the cooling of engines and again may fatigue them before they should.

These are just general things off the top of my head that come to mind ...other folks may have more specific information or concerns.

Edited by Sk8man

From previous experience salt water boats are best left alone. But I am wondering if that is just issolated to a bad boat purchase from florida. I am wondering if there are specific things that need to be checked before a salt water boat would be purchased. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know enough about saltwater and motors to comment on those but glass boats actually benefit from saltwater. The salt actually helps preserves any wood that is penetrated by the saltwater. Granted it can still rot but not nearly as quick.

Sent from my thinking chair...

I guess the question in general would provide a general answer of freshwater boats would be better if all things were equal. that being said they are not equal. Different owners care for their boats differently. Yes saltwater can have adverse effects on boats and no matter how well you care for them this can happen just to the saltwater enviorment. Same as cars owned by people living on the coats tend to rust faster than cars owned by people that live off the coast. Salt is in the air and salt leads to corrosion. That being said I have seen some really nice older boats that were well taken care of. So this is where the answer is flawed. typically a good saltwater boat owner will wash his boat down after each use with fresh water. Normal maintainence will prevent engine problems (which goes for fresh water boats as well). If you use corrosion guard on exposed surfaces and wiring the adverse effects are delayed. I wouldn't hesitate looking at a saltwater boat, your eyes will know immediately if it was well cared for or not. In 19901 I bought a 25' Sea Ox with 350 hrs on it for 19K. This boat had twin Johnson 150's and sold new for over 50K. The boat had previous engine issues with carbon build up behind the rings (sign that the owner used cheaper grade oil), but I had it checked out prior to purchase and all was well. At that pirce I couldn't go wrong. So you can see how different factors come into play. I fished that boat, putting over 300 hrs per yr, until I had my lobster boat built in 2000. I did have to replace the power heads twice. The first time one engine failed so I figured the other wasn't far behind and replaced both (yup I was using cheaper oil). Second time all the signs were there but I didn't heed them quickly enough and took out the 1 cylinder on one of the engines. At that point I only replaced the one power head. So all issues were not related to salt vs fresh but to a new boat owner that learned a lot for owning boats, as we all do. As far as electronics failing due to salt vs fresh I saw no indication of that in my units. I actually transfered my Sitex FF, radio, loran and radar to the lobsterboat and they were still working on it when I sold it in 2008. On the sea ox I did get resistance build up on the connection at the panel on the dash which drained the battery faster than it normally would. All switches worked but I couldn't anchor up with lights on and electronics running without risking running the battery down. Adding a battery solved the risk but I never got around to cleaning all the connection to solve the problem (there were a lot of connection on that panel, lol).

Hope this helped a little. There are a ton of boats out there that are bought new with good intentions and then not used half as much as the owner anticipated. Once they start seeing slip fees, spring and fall service and storage they bail on the boat. That is when you want to pick it up.

Good luck in your search and if you don't know your way around a boat a survey is your friend. Looks for references as surveyors are like home inspectors, some are good and some well not so good.

Spike