Coast Guard Safety Check

shinintimes

I recently bought a boat in Henderson Harbor and have been getting it ready to be moved to Oak Orchard ... My question is this I have seen in the past numerous boats with a coast guard safety sticker usually with the year of the inspection I was wondering if I can have this done being I'm just a rec. fisherman ? I have asked numerous people [ marina's and even one guy from the coast guard ] with no clear answer.. Any help would be great !!!! Thanks

Coast guard axillary does them ask for a marine safety check. A lot of times they will meet you at your marina. Was a guy here near dexter can't remember his name. Call CG they should have number.

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Coast Guard Auxillary is a volunteer organization. They have done the inspection on my boats a couple times in the past but I haven't seen them out recently. I wonder if the Coast Guard station at Sodus Point might have info on them and possibly a number?

Edited by Sk8man

Coast guard Station Sodus' phone number is 315-493-9816. Give them a call and ask for the number for an auxiliary vessel examiner they should be abel to set up a time to inspect your boat and often times will come to you. If you guys can agree on a time use a google search for federal safety requirements for a boat, you will just need to make sure you look at a boat for your vessel length. NY state also has there own requirements so you need to make sure you have that as well (again a google search will provide that information) the only difference between state and federal that comes to mind right now is NY requires an anchor where federal law doesn't

as far as needing it no.... it is a courtesy inspection and if they find any issues (required safty equipt.) ya wont get a ticket ... But if ya get checked by the big guys ya might not be as lucky ...Not everyone on the water has taken a safe boating class so it is a good heads up as to what you should have on board..I don't care if ya been driving a boat for 40 years everyone should be required to take a boating class,,their is a tad more to it than launching and driving....