J plug question.

First off -you stole those! Great deal they are worth 3-4 times that on ebay

run them off the bottom deep rigger and keep them on short leads from the riggers, they have some crazy antics in the water and move around allot.  They are also very effective on leadcore or copper lines way back!

Tie direct to your mono that way the plug can slide up the line and fish can't use the plug as leverage to pull free.  Don't stack over them unless you give it plenty of room and they will rise (float) on corners or slow downs so be VERY careful with spacing.

Great lures - usually big fish lures in our boat

Oh yea- I like to run them a little faster then I would with flasher flies setups 

I got them of a retired charter captain who was selling off his gear. No one wanted them so he told me 20 and they were mine. Now my second question. Where is a good place to go for Salmon and browns. Im usually launching out of sackets harbor or dexter. I left from sackets weekend before last and got hammered by 5 to 10 foot waves and have been gun shy about going out again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I love to use J from about a week from now till the end. I like the # 4's in glo green flo w/ ladderback( looks like you have  few & silver bullets , Also pearl w/ black dots first thing in the morn . I like to change out the cadmium pltd hooks to a 1/0 eagle claw l 374. I tie direct w/ no swivel so if I snag bottom & break off I can retrive the plug, Done that many times.

I  like run them on riggers when I see fish on bottom over 40' ft. 35' back & 8'-10' off the bottom. Caught an awfull lot of kings that way.  I also like to run them 125-250 ft back on my outdown riggers  and do a lot of lazy turns. I use to put dodgers /squids on the inside riggers 15-20' below. Did not get many on the dodgers but when I took them off , I got less hits on the Js . I think they would come up & look at the dodger, veer away & see the J plug & hit it.  This works great for me when combat fishing outside of the pack when the fish get driven out by the traffic. Misnomer that you have to go fast when using them. I get a lot of my hits on the inside of the turn rigger as it stalls the plug &   is floating back to the surface. Good luck.

I've always had better luck with J's/Lymans etc with longer leads off the riggers than i normally run flasher/flies or spoons, 25-40 foot leads. 

They are actually a super presentation for a Seacret Weapon rig on the deep rigger.  SWR is a 2 color lead core run off the rigger, between the 2 colors of core (60 ft) the leader and whatever backing you put out before clipping it into the release, it puts your bait about 100 feet back and 8-10 feet below the ball, though with a j plug, which also dives, you could probably get 15' below the ball.

They also rock off of divers.

The green glow/black ladderback and bloody nose silver bullet (chrome with read head) have by far, been my 2 best colors over the years.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Thanks for the great information guys sadly I wont be able to get out much. My truck is getting rather sad and have to up grade her

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I ran with a charter out of Point Breeze a few years ago, when the kings were in close, he ran them as top lines... 100 ft. back and in the rod holder.... blasted the fish!!.. .never too old to learn  !!

When they are in close, we have run them flat-lining off the big boards, with good results.

I suspect in the shallower water the fish move away from the boat, and the J's are sitting right in their path.

They won't be in that 30-40 ft stuff, I was refering to, in mid-August.

They'll be in the cold water still, until their internal clock has them heading to the rivers.

We've also flatlined J's 100-150 back, Apex lures, and Stingfish too.

They all work.

ADK and Dwood,

it all depends on were the fish are. I have fished off of the salmon river the last week in August for well over 10 years now. Some years they want the J plugs other years they don't. I have found once they have come in close to shore, 80' or shallower thats when its time to break out the squadrons of J plugs. Lats year they were in 100' of water and it was all flashers and flys and small stingers that they wanted.

We will be in the general area, Saturday/Sunday as long as the wind doesn't keep us landlocked.

Holler on the radio/68, and I'll share what ever I can,(might be damn little...lol) to help get you going.

Don't be nervous.

ADK1, green glow spin doctors and glow green flies when its low light, then switch flys to the hammer colors......can't go wrong with that!! Then if you have a 3rd rigger, tailgun a big spoon up and behind the flasher and flys. sounds like they have been out in the 200' range lately.

I only have 3 Spin Dr's at the moment, one is a white crush glow, and two are froggy. baiscally white with lime greem dots. I have a bunch of crinkle green/light green and white flys. I have various colored spoons. I only have two downriggers. two dipsey divers. a lead line. one dipsey is mono and one is wire. I have no copper. I also have one silver with creen tape size 0 dodger. that is pretty much it! oh, and one jplug

Adk1 & Fish Hunter,

I'll be there next fri for the weekend too.....Look out for a small grady with old glory on the bow

Maybe bump into you guys (not OTW...LOL)

I only have 3 Spin Dr's at the moment, one is a white crush glow, and two are froggy. baiscally white with lime greem dots. I have a bunch of crinkle green/light green and white flys. I have various colored spoons. I only have two downriggers. two dipsey divers. a lead line. one dipsey is mono and one is wire. I have no copper. I also have one silver with creen tape size 0 dodger. that is pretty much it! oh, and one jplug

I'm like you Adk1, my Lake-O box has many empty spaces and  lots of room for expansion.... :yes:

I have two new wire-dispy rods that need to get wet

Same here....have a few spoons, 2 jplugs, a few flies, and 3 spin drs, and 3 dipsey's. Need to start adding to the lure collection....