Morning on the St Lawrence

Kevin J Legg

Gotta love the morning bite! Good to see you back on em. Im hoping the water cooling off doesn't cool off my morning bite. Its been downright chilly all of the sudden for August. Kevin, or anyone for that matter, next weekend is my annual trip with my son and his friends for his birthday, 21 this year, wondered if anyone has heard anything about Tupper Lake? Ive fished most of the Adirondacks in a canoe and always did fine, and its far easier with electronics etc. just wondered if anyone has a report.

justin

The DEC claims that the next state record walleye is currently swimming in Tupper, it was seen during electro fishing surveys. There are lots of fish in there, but they are well fed, gorging on the huge schools of smelt. If you do get into them, will probably be decent sized. We managed only one a couple of years ago drifting bucktail jigs, about 8 pounds. Lots of pike, some monsters, as well.

Locals claimed the only consistent walleye action was flatlining stickbaits at night, over the rocky shoals.

I've fished in the Raquette River,(many times) and Simon Pond, which is basically the same water, as only the road separates, those from Tupper Lake. 

Walleyes, bass, nothern's were what we caught.

No big fish, but a good quantity.

We were trolling upstream once and had to manuever the boat around a dead deer floating out to Simon Pond.

Back to the river. I was drifting Monday near the bridge. The Coast Guard stopped on their way through and told me it was illegal to fish in the main channel. They said the State Police would issue a ticket for it. That's the first time I have heard that?????

You don't have to worry about the troopers writing you a ticket because their boat is on the trailer at their station. It hasn't seen the water in 3 years. Also there is no section of state law the prohibits you from fishing in the channel. The cost guard would get involved if you are impending the travel of the big tanker ships.

My wife is from A bay. She worked on the cruise line and also had her own boat and jet ski up there. She knows the harbor zones, speed limits, shoals and has a lifetime of water knowledge up there. We were on the jet ski one afternoon, wife was driving. Pulled into A bay and got stopped by a trooper who was anchored and had the binocks on us. He said she was speeding in a harbor zone. She then proceed to lecture him on where it started and ended not to mention we were in some sort of back channel that she knew all the names and zones. The trooper was flabbergasted and said have a nice day.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They are some nice eyes Kevin hoping to get down there this weekend hopefully fri. and sat . and give it a try. My buddy said he heard they are getting them around the cape finally. I am hoping things work out better this time than the last few times every time I go I have some sort of small issue and I don't get to fish very long. Hopefuuly I can break the new Tyee in right . Good luck fishing. Maybe run into you one day down there I am there mostly in the evening I fish from 7-11pm depending on the night.

I haven't heard much on Quite. Their fishing forum has been unusually quiet this summer.

There is a Sherriff and a State Police boat moored at Keewayden State Park.

They routinely patrol the Alex Bay area. I'm not sure on the law regarding fishing in the shipping channel but in 40 years on the river, I've never heard of anyone being hassled.

The sheriffs keep one boat on the lake and one boat at cedar pt state park. The two boats at Keewaydin state park are the park police boats. The troopers do not have a boat in the water. They haven't had a boat in the water in 3 years.

Fished this morning and the bait where I have been fishing was gone. Tried trolling, jigs, jigging spoons and harnesses and finally hit what I thought was a monster on a worm harness in 95 fow. After a thumping give and take battle we finally netted what turned out to be an 11.3 LB catfish. We did hit one 22" walleye around 90 feet down on a bucktail jig, and a few smallmouths. Seems the walleyes may have been deeper today. That's also where I was marking the bait.

Way to keep going till you get on em! Its crazy how you can keep going to the same spot and then the next day...gone. Its not so bad for me its 1 side or the other and small water. Those catfish can really get me excited and then when you realize it isnt an eye you go from super bowl to toilet bowl!

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That'sa nice catfish Kevin! There r some very decent channel cats in th St. Lawrence. I remember catching a nice 8lber a while back when fishing for whatever while on the annual 1 or 2 week camping trip to Wellsley Is. These vacation trips usually had 5 to 12 of us, most not being big fishing folks. I decided to make a fish stew from the cat, as this was one of those all 12 of us affairs and it fit the bill perfectly for the hungry clan..... :nod:  I personally found the fish chunks were nice but had that slightly muddy, veggie flavor that can often be in many kinds of fish. Oh yes, I'm a pretty good cook and this fish was alive and ready to leave and live minutes before dispatching and cutting into the stew. Everybody else thought it was great food and it was completely finished off though!