Morning on the St Lawrence

Kevin J Legg

Yes, that muddy seaweeds flavor. I got that with that cat, but again everybody seemed to like it (possibly because they were starved!). I got that from a large (9lb+) northern from the Larry as well. And I usually like pike & pickerel meat. Have also run into that taste in bass sometimes, usually sweet and mild and very nice textured meat (getting $10 lb. live in markets.....largemouths in tanks!) and these fish were all caught in clean waters like Seneca or canandaigua lakes. I've had bass of equal size caught from under the same dock within minutes of each other, kept alive and cooked exactly the same way and same pan at the shame time and had fillets from one fish have that weedy muddy taste and the other sweet and creamy. Must be some type of body chemistry thing. I even had saltwater whiting that had that taint. I did stumble upon a marinade paste of my own making that actually made that "taste" taste good. Trouble is that is not always handy. Give me good old perch, sunfish, smaller pike, smaller trout and something called "chicken of the sea"; northern puffer, a saltwater fish found around Long Island (absolutely scrumptious), as well as bluefish, for can't fail eats! (I guess I could add a few others, but I'm with u on those large channel cats.....good fish none the less!).

Those cats are something.  Good size ones make you think you have a nice walleye.  Big ones make you wonder what you are snagged on, at least for a few seconds.  Kevin, I have tried cooking them different ways too.  I don't like them either - Mushy.  I used to let them go but I know a guy who loves em.  He chunks them up and rolls them in corn meal and deep fries them.  I guess using the fryer to remove the skanky oil and replace it with the artery clogging oil.  I usually fillet fish for people without expecting anything in return but these things are so fatty I told this guy he owes me a draft pick to be named later.  These shouldn't be confused with bullheads.  I like bullheads.

This is a list of fish I sometimes catch but was not the intention.

Carp - do not fish for them but catch them often while fishing for Kings in the fall with skein.

Cats - Catch them like carp on skein but also with creek chubs fishing for walleye.

Pickerel - summer bass fishing.

We ate the cat we caught and it was fine but you should never eat it right after walleye...as its very apparrent that its not nearly as good. Here is a list of species I caught just this year at otisco walleye trolling cranks.

Tiger musky

Smb

Lmb

Brown trout

Carp

Catfish

Perch

Sunfish

Crappie

Alewives

Bullhead

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The halibut I brought back from Alaska is hard to beat but the Black Sea bass from Cape Cod are also very good. I give away a great of filleted fish and often have fish fries at our church. Most people can't tell the difference between any of it when it's cut into fingers, bread and fried! Sometimes I keep them separated and poll the eaters to see which they liked best. In my opinion perch are tough to beat! 

Edited by Kevin J Legg

Agreed with the perch! Sunnies are, to me, just as tasty, sometimes even sweeter. Did I forget good old haddock from many fish fries in the northeast region....? But, for fish personally reeled in by myself, it'll be perch, sunnies, 'eyes, and, surprise....smaller pike and pickerel (got to know how to remove the bone strap). Lots of tasty fish types commercially caught or farm raised at the markets. Shop, though for currently sustainable species (info online) as we, I believe, need to support our fisheries by not overfishing.......some commercial fishery folks may care the less for tomorrow for the cash today.....

Justin, That is quite the list.

Kevin, Taste for me goes crappie, walleye, perch.  After that the separation is too close.  Ocean fishes...  I haven't had enough to know.  But grilled mako is really good.  I love the Striped bass.  Halibut, Dauphin, cod, marlin, sword.

Panfisher, I kept a lot of pickerel one year because there were too many of them in my fishing spot.  I tried several ways of filleting them and they do not fillet out as easily as pike (at least for me).  I found it easiest to fillet them normal, leave the bones in and par boil them.  Painstakingly remove the bones and make fish patties and refry with seasoning (old bay).  My wife doesn't like anything other than tuna and she liked it.  But when I say painstaking, it is that.  But this is what worked for me.  I thought about grinding them but then I figured I had a lot of time invested in cleaning up the grinder.  Nice flavor to the fish but I have been letting them go this year.  I agree with pike in the 24-30 inch range.  I have little trouble filleting out the Y bones and that is some good eats. 

getting me hungry thinking about it,

Joe

I caught a couple large pickerel ice fishing this winter at Henderson. When I filleted them I was expecting them to be like a pike but I too found they are different in bone structure. That said, when I cooked up a batch of fish, my wife rated them ahead of everything else. Once you learn how to fillet pike they are also great fish to eat.

Handled correctly, cleaned correctly and cooked correctly nearly everything that I keep is delicious.

Yeah, those y bones are annoying. It seems the pike bones (likewise laid into a layer but a slightly different bone shape) are a bit easier of a "bone layer" to slice away from the remainder of the flesh. But I learned the way to remove them from any Esocidae (dare anyone eat a muskie.....Les Stroud lost in the woods surviving :shake: ...) was essentially the same. From illustrations in fishing books when a kid, before I ever caught my first pickerel. Carefully remove that layer and a wonderful long meaty and thick fillet is left. i've even caught and cleaned small (12 in and less) pickerel and found them fantastic. If ever in the New York City area, especially long island and maybe jersey and Connecticut, and looking for a tasty fish fry, try and find that "chicken of the sea"- northern puffer. It is available at some fish fry shops and restaraunts and can be caught on charters. That little fish is sooo good! U won't be disappointed. Man this talk of good eating fish is definitely making me hungry! BTW, there is a aquaculture company out of Indiana specializing (exclusively) in farm raised yellow perch....$13 a lb.! No, haven't tried it....don't need to. But good ol American entreprenuership at work.....

Edited by panfisher

Your killin' me! :happy2: Posting that shot has got me ready to make some up and eat them NOW :nod: ......With fries (maybe even sweet potato fries) and some home made slaw.......Ooooowweeeee :yes: ! Oh...and some cold brew... maybe the rebrewed Schlitz or some Golden Ale!!

Edited by panfisher

Beauty kevin...you really pound em in some tough water...we gotta get together and compare notes! You ever wanna take a drive down my way after that grandchild is born ill take you out anytime! Id love get your take on my style and spread.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be fishing the St Lawrence on the Canadian side from the bridge to Howe island starting Sept 5th for 2 weeks. With the weather and water cooling, should I bring my downriggers?  I've got stickbaits that dive to 30', snap weights, jet divers and dipsy divers. I think I can cover water 40 feet and under without the D/R's. Thanks!