Your going to get many different opinions to your question  They will all be right and they will all be wrong.  Although different people will prefer different temps, put me down for 50 degrees.

42 degree water for the bottom of your spread and and work up from there.  When the big mature kings are not actively feeding they like to hang in the ice water.

They will move up in the water column to feed and then drop back down,  but will still aggressively hit baits that swim past them.

Most of my bigger king bites come from the deeper rigs in the ice water.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Also agree with Tim, that being said my biggest fish 2 weeks ago came out of 60 degree water. 

The thermocline will show up a little lighter than a rigger line on your graph, it shows a light blue on my hds5.  If your not seeing it the water might be too mixed up from winds or your gain may not be set high enough.

42 degree water for the bottom of your spread and and work up from there.  When the big mature kings are not actively feeding they like to hang in the ice water.

They will move up in the water column to feed and then drop back down,  but will still aggressively hit baits that swim past them.

Most of my bigger king bites come from the deeper rigs in the ice water.

Tim

:yes:  :yes:

Fish magnet, you can usually see the thermocline on your lorwrance if you have the sensitivity turned all the way up. Mine is always set at 100%. Usually if the the thermocline is at say 80' you will see alot of clutter on the screen from the surface to 80' then it will clear up from 80'down. where it clears up is your thermocline. I can also sometimes see the arch of the current if we are trolling thru one. Its still amazes me to be able to see the fish on the sonar zoom up and follow the downrigger weights and either hit it or swim back down.

This sonar pic is from one of my local lakes from early spring. You can see the thermocline is about 10' down.

post-139690-0-12120100-1376173511_thumb.jpg

Edited by steelfire