Boat wanders all over at troll speed

Xxx

I think Ray K is right on the mark...it is probably a weight distribution problem and it happens with outboards as well. I think it can be too much weight in the back relative to the front and can also occur with too much difference in weight on one side or the other as well. It probably causes some bow lifting (maybe gradual and unnoticed) or less surface area contact with the water  where the guiding chines go on a diagonal path.

As this thread grows I think I'm going to try the sea bags. I read in another thread that sea bags held the front down in wave conditions making the ride better when trolling, that tells me there is mucho lbs. in those bags. I don't mind the wandering in the no wake zone, like someone else said the constant counter steering gets to be a pain the a$$, and it becomes tiring when trolling for hours, as I have a troll plate on now but I'm going to go with the sea bags for in the spring any way. I'm tired of the piece of sh-t falling into the lock position when slowing down to take a look at a area that has good readings, then go to take off and can't get on plane right away, I know that damn plate fell down again, when I take this troll plate off that's the end of it. It worked fine on my smaller outboards but it's worthless on this boat, I might add it worked fine on my 140 horse I/O 4cyl. but the bigger horse I/O and bigger boats when slowing down quickly the wake that washes against the transom releases the plate and then your in the troll position whether you want to be or not, so pro's and con's to the troll plate. I know there are more people on here that don't like them as that do. One person added that putting out the planer boards also eliminates the wandering so it can't take much to rectify this problem. I will keep reading this thread as it continues to grow and maybe someone else will come up with another idea. I never had a boat this big so this is all new to me and I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks PAP   

Some  deep vee boats just seem to wander a little to port and starboard at slow speeds, nothing wrong with the steering or outdrive and not caused by wind or waves.  I always said it was because the boats are female and can't make up their minds which way they want to go :) .  You constantly are trying to correct this by counter steering which sometimes just makes it worse, can be aggravating particularly in tight channels and makes it difficult to relax when driving.

My Penn Yan wasn't too bad and I installed a Wander Fin mainly because a corner of my cavitation plate was broken off on my outdrive and the fin covers that up which helped me to justify the cost.  However the fin definitely improved the handling characteristics at slow speeds.  This problem disappears once you throttle up a little or put in your trolling bags.  Some boats wander more than others

You are spot on with my problem, if adding sea bags doesn't solve the problem the Wander fin is going on in the spring!! Thanks for the heads up on the Wander Plate!!!!

Sorry guys...the engineer in me is trying to figure out why this occurs.  If fixing the cavitation plate helped then I'm thinking exhaust and prop has something to do with it.  I know when in neutral, the exhaust has a tendency to push my little guy forward.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

The Wander Fin has two rudder like plates that hang down in back of the prop so that the thrust from the prop is directed against them like a rudder.  This is what improves the handling at low speeds.  Fixing, or covering up, the cavitation plate was just an added bonus to installing the fin which mounts to the outdrive by bolting to the cavitation plate. In my case I either had to repair the cavitation plate by welding in a piece or cover it with the fin so it helped me to justify the cost of the fin in my mind ( and to the wife ).

Look it up on the website and I think it will make more sense to the engineer in you.

I have an '08 Trophy and the "bow wander" was terrible until I put trim tabs on this year. In fact, it was almost comical when I'd be coming back through the channel. I trim the tabs all the way down now and it works like magic.

I have no idea why the tabs eliminate the wander, but they do and it works great.

Good luck,

Chris

Thanx Mudflat.  Now it makes sense.  The thrust from the exhaust IS pushing it around.  I can't help wondering if a little different prop pitch & higher idle RPM wouldn't solve it.  Oh well, life's little mysteries.

Good luck with it.  Please let us know what works for you to solve it.

Tom B.

(LongLine)