Otter boats

justtracytrolling

My new otter boats come tomorrow. I ordered the extra half keels to add on them. Im hoping they really pull so i can get them further out. Wondered if any of you have them and how far out you have run them. I read somewhere on this forum about using string trimmer line to pull boards and i have some to try...the clips will certainly slide now. Cant wait to try it all out!

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i dont think you will even need the extra keels. i guess it depends what your pulling, but youre a walleye guy right? short leadcores, short coppers, and flatlines will pull fine with single keel and still get you pretty far to the sides

Hope they work that well! I want as much spacing as i can get so i can comfortably run 3 rods on each side. Plus i hoped with the extra keels they would stay out better at slow speeds...under 1.2...my current boards hate slow and grab weeds bad.

Justin

The Amish Outfitters boards will pull way harder than the otter boards. I was not impressed with the otter boards, I run 4 to 5 lines (3-10 colors) on each side with almost 200 feet of standard Dacron out on each side. the otter boards I ran with the dual keels on them pulled back and had a ton of line sag, I don't get any pull back or any sag on my Amish outfitter boards.

Amish outfitters boards are the way to go. I used otter boats for a year then sold them. They're horrible. The extra keel thing is a bunch of crap too. Not trying to burst your bubble but those things are junk. Not sure why people even use them. If I was you I'd bite the bullet on the shipping, send them back, get a refund and get some Amish Outfitters Captain Boards.

Tony, there is a reason almost all the top tournament boats on Lake O use otter boats......they work.  Like anything there are some variables that will effect performance.  Height of mast, string lengths, dual keels set at correct angle, etc. 

I was aware that the Amish Outfitters boards pulled even harder, but had hope the otters would be a happy medium.  If I let out 200 feet on each side on little Otisco it would be quite a sight...if im unhappy they can go back and ill try the others.  125 feet I was thinking would be good for me...I only have rods and holders for 3 each side.  I get crazy looks and people following just to see what Im doing now...if I had a spread like yours walleyemagic I think Id get run off the lake.  Id love to see some pics of all those rods out must be awesome. How bout mast heighth off the water?

Thanks for the input

Justin

Tony, there is a reason almost all the top tournament boats on Lake O use otter boats......they work. Like anything there are some variables that will effect performance. Height of mast, string lengths, dual keels set at correct angle, etc.

Yeah, it's called sponsors. Just because Vinny or yankee does something does it mean its the end all be all? Nobody wants to think for themselves. No offense to those guys. Think about it, how would some funny looking boat that floats on the water pull any where near as hard as something that's pulling 6" under?

They don't work bad in the spring when you're flat linning some light stuff for browns. Start running multiple copper or jets off of them and forget it about it.

The reason people started to use them is becuse they think like you, "well if this guy uses them they've gotta be good". You won't see one walleye charter on Lake Erie running those things when they're running 90% of their spread if not 100% off their boards.

I'll run my Amish Outfitters anywhere off my boat, even off my cleats, next to you and your otter boats and you can then talk about height of your mast and all that bologna when you see they're complete junk!

I've seen these boards snap 200 lb test Dacron planner line. I'll tell you right now you can adjust the keels on your boats all you want but they'll never pull that hard!! I don't know about you but I want my boards to pull! :)

Edited by Chautauqua Tony

I am not starting a pissing match over which board is better.  I know full well how strong amish boards pull.  If I was running an erie charter on a calm day...I would be running those type boards.  However, for every day use in all types of waves and weather......give me orange funny looking foam.

Curious? I was thinking about somr amish boards but if they break 200lb dacron will I need some sort of cable or something to run them with?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Amish Outfitters makes a 300 lb test planer line to run with their boards. They also make board snubbers to help absorb wave shock.

I know guys have. Run weed wacker line as well as 250 lb power pro.

I am not starting a pissing match over which board is better. I know full well how strong amish boards pull. If I was running an erie charter on a calm day...I would be running those type boards. However, for every day use in all types of waves and weather......give me orange funny looking foam.

Sorry, neither am I. Didn't mean to be so harsh. I wrote that before my morning coffee. :)

The recommended line for them is #500 lb test. My question would be:"if they are pulling that hard how appropriate are they for a smaller boat running other equipment as well"? Even a large king can slowdown small boats.....I'm just wondering since they are aimed in their ad at charter boats?

The main reason i didnt get the amish boards is my sweetheart, Tracy, runs the boards and she is petite and i wanted something she could handle that also worked...and when i hear men say turn towards the boards and its not too bad, it scared me off...and if they can break 200 lb test they may not be ideal for me. Dont get me wrong...i want a big boat, those boards and lake erie...im just not there YET! And Tony you can have the first i told you so if i end up switching...lol! Thanks again guys...i hope they come on time...i wanna go to the lake!

Ok I really love the boards...they are very smooth and handled whitecaps this morn no prob. I pulled 5 color core and 2 heavy pulling cranks really well out 125 ft. I could definity see that if you were fishing deeper with 3+ rods you might want the amish boards. Tracy and garrett both were able to pull them in at trolling speed. Ideal mast height would be 8-9 feet off the water...ill be adding 2 feet next week. We just ran 3 each side, 2 riggers and core down the chute, but 4 would be no prob. 9 rods is a good number for me unless I have tim and matt and not family fishing.

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app