Which speed/temperature probe system should I buy?

I hear so much on the forum about temperatures at certain depths and speed at the lure.

So, I looking to purchase my first speed/temperature probe system.

I normally fish alone and only have one rigger on my boat. It's a Walker with auto stop. The auto stop feature has some small round magnets on the rigger cable. Whatever temp/speed system I purchase, I want to still utilize the auto stop.

Could you guys please recommend some systems for me.

Thanks

I'm running a Moor 900 and have for years, a lot of guys complain about the coated cable and the lack of durability but it's not a big problem for me. If and when I replace the unit I'll probably go with the new Fish hawk X4. Yes you have to mount a transducer but after that your all set. Moor, Cannon, Depthraider, Fishhawk. They all work some better than others. $$$$... ? how much do you want to spend ?

I'm running a Moor 900 and have for years, a lot of guys complain about the coated cable and the lack of durability but it's not a big problem for me. If and when I replace the unit I'll probably go with the new Fish hawk X4. Yes you have to mount a transducer but after that your all set. Moor, Cannon, Depthraider, Fishhawk. They all work some better than others. $$$$... ? how much do you want to spend ?

Although $$ are always a consideration, I think the performance is more important than the cost.

Hopefully I will have the unit for years.

I have heard that the X4 has a tendency to eat batteries. Have you heard anything concerning battery usage?

I've owned Cannon SNT, Depth Raider and Fish Hawk X4D. I use Moor a lot on my buddies boat. X4D is the hands down best IMO. Install it and forget about it. It just works. Batteries seem to last about 100 hours. The older Fish Hawks ate batteries but, not the X4 and X4D. No need to disturb your rigger cable with the Fish Hawk.

My buddy runs one on his charter boat ( 2-3 trips a week) never heard him complain about batteries.... I really like the Moor unit but like I said "some people" have an issue with coated cable. Would honestly rather have a speed/temp unit than a sonar unit for most of the season. Late fall doesn't matter

My buddy runs the Fishhawk X4. It works great, I don't think he has any battery problems. Really easy to clip on the probe which transmits wirelessly to the transducer.  Simple system, I like!

I have the new Smart Troll system. This works equally as well, but the speed probe hasn't come out yet.  Once it does, I'd probably choose that system over the Fishhawk, as you can use up to 6 probes at one, on dipsey lines, rigger, etc. to find out exactly the depth, temp and speed on each line.  Now, not to say I will do that, but I will likely put a depth, temp, speed on the rigger and 1 depth/temp on the dipsey. I will find the 46 F - 48F on the rigger and then the 50 - 52F on the dipsey to define the bottom and top of the water zone I want to be in.

I had a Moor 900 for years good unit ...... the coated wire that came with it was junk......replaced that..... the probe got water in it and needed to be replaced , that could have been my falt...... one battery was good for the season for me...........anyway I replaced the whole deal with a X4 battery life is about the same as Moor , maybe one more a year for the X4 still good.............  when the X4 goes I'd replace it again with one ..... down side you do (or I do) pick up some interference  from it on my depthfinder but not much.... big pluss I can run it on any downrigger no need for coated wire........ I run Cannon rigger with short-stop not sure how yours work.............

Moor subtrools are great and probably the most popular in Ontario area, but the readout takes up some space on your dash so be sure you have the room for it. I went with a depth raider (last year) mainly due to its smaller readout, takes up less space. I'm happy with it. Both use the coated rigger cable which tends to lose the coating--- but the coating can be repaired using liquid electrical tape. Cannon made a probe, but their speed sensor would not give accurate results at low speeds which we would be trolling at (read their manual for the details...I spoke with cannon last year and they confirmed this...maybe it's fixed in their newer models for 2013?)

I've heard good reports on the fish hawks too and many charters use these, no coated cable but also the most expensive.

I have run a sub troll 900 now for over 10 years. Great unit, highly accurate, company is great to deal with. BUT, the coated wire does suck. I replace mine every 2 years. I do like the liquid tape idea, will have to try that.  1 battery lasts all season now because it only turns on when it enters the water.  Who makes the X4?? never heard of it.

I have run a sub troll 900 now for over 10 years. Great unit, highly accurate, company is great to deal with. BUT, the coated wire does suck. I replace mine every 2 years. I do like the liquid tape idea, will have to try that.  1 battery lasts all season now because it only turns on when it enters the water.  Who makes the X4?? never heard of it.

The X4 and X4D is made by Fish Hawk.  The old 840 units were horrible but they have really nailed it this time. 

Its a new product but you may want to consider Smart Troll. I am happy with the one I have so far. No cables to contend with. Small light probes can be used on more than just you rigger lines. I have only so far had my unit out a few times but am very happy with the results.

Fish Hawk makes the X4 and X4D

Just spooled up with Torpedo probe cable for my Depth Raider. I'm hoping this product is as good as advertised.

I have been running mine all season and not an issue. Works great just take special care not to link the line.

Sent from my thinking chair...

All of them back their products well.

Tim

Just installed a Fishhawk X4D, so far so good. not bad to install just put some thought in triducer placement, and if possible run power cable direct to battery, Little tuff on wallet but well worth it.