Sea Bag Size to help with wandering problem. !

Xxx

OK, now that I've decided to go with Sea Bags, to correct my steering/wandering around at troll speed what size bags should I get. I have a 22FT. Sea Ray Cudddy with a 350 Mercruiser and pre alpha1 outdrive. I would like to get down to 1.8mph and be able to reach 2.75.mph. right now I'm more interested in the salmon speeds so like 2.4mph and up. Thank you for all your help on my other post and any more help here. PAP!!

http://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=4f9cf0d5fb1077a39126911118f55812

I have 2 of the 28" beefy bags and with both of them deployed, they will just about slow my 24'Thompson to a dead stop at idle.  Even with only one of them in, it allows for much better speed control because it gets you past that idle/not idle jump with an I/O, also keeps the engine better lubricated and better cooling/water circulation with the RPM's up a couple hundred above idle.

I've had mine for 5 or 6 years and they still look good as new.

Tim

We run a 20 and 23 foot glass boats about the same weight as your Ray . Alpha II drives Franks 18" bags work well anything larger may be overkill . My two cents.

Edited by bigblue

Do you guys think using only one bag will correct my wandering problem? Does it pull you to the side with only one bag? I was thinking about running 2 smaller bags? what do you guys think Sorry for all the questions but I want to get this right the first time, since it took me 2 years to get this hunk of $hit together and running right one more hurdle and I'll be ready to hook some fish!!!!

Do you guys think using only one bag will correct my wandering problem? Does it pull you to the side with only one bag? I was thinking about running 2 smaller bags? what do you guys think Sorry for all the questions but I want to get this right the first time, since it took me 2 years to get this hunk of $hit together and running right one more hurdle and I'll be ready to hook some fish!!!!

I believe two smaller to mid size bags offer more flexibility to control your boat in varied conditions than 1 large bag. Put the bag out on the upwind side, and when you turn around switch bags instead of re-rigging it on the other side. Drop the second bag in to slow down on a big fish at netting time.

Or, if you troll with a trolling engine mounted off center, put the bag on the same side as the engine.

I have 2-28" bags and one 36" bag.  Usually one or two of the smaller bags will get me down to 1.4 to 1.5.  I run a boat very similar to yours.  Tie them more forward on the boat and make sure you put another line to hold the bag at the side of the boat.  If the bag is wandering off to the side or under the boat, you will steer all over the place. 

Edited by GAMBLER

I have 2-28" bags and one 36" bag.  Usually one or two of the smaller bags will get me down to 1.4 to 1.5.  I run a boat very similar to yours.  Tie them more forward on the boat and make sure you put another line to hold the bag at the side of the boat.  If the bag is wandering off to the side or under the boat, you will steer all over the place. 

Thanks GAMBLER I think I get the picture  your info is what I've been looking for those numbers are perfect. And I will be certain to tie the bags front and back. thanks. PAP.

Thanks GAMBLER I think I get the picture  your info is what I've been looking for those numbers are perfect. And I will be certain to tie the bags front and back. thanks. PAP.

Tie the front of the bag to a cleat 2/3rds of the way to the bow.  Tie a teather line to the back of the bag and put it on a cleat directly above the end of the bag (or as close as you can get) so it keeps it from swinging under the boat.  This line can be used to dump the bag when you want to bring it in. 

Tie the front of the bag to a cleat 2/3rds of the way to the bow.  Tie a teather line to the back of the bag and put it on a cleat directly above the end of the bag (or as close as you can get) so it keeps it from swinging under the boat.  This line can be used to dump the bag when you want to bring it in. 

Thank you GAMBLER for your expertise in how to run the sea bags. Thanks again PAP.