Brought my friend Robert out for some salmon fishing Saturday. We arrived at the launch on Archibald road, nice and sunny, and began preparing for launch. Not many trailers there, and was wondering if all the noise from the shoreline was going to mean too rough to fish. We get set up to launch and I pass one boat in the parking lot and its name is "Haywire"...hey I know that guy!..well sorta, on this forum, anyway I stop and holler out the window and said "Which one of you guys is Kooter?"..he waves and comes over and introduced himself. Great to meet you bud!

Ok now we are headed out of port 7:30 am and there was a stiff NW breeze, and nice big waves coming from the same direction..ugh!..but we ain't skeer'd and hammer into the 5-6 footers ..occasional 7s that were like a wall! Took a long time to reach the 29 line 535 fow but, set up with the rollers on a southeastern troll. Speed was all over the place surfing along on the waves. 1.9 up to 3.1 and everything in between. Well it didn't seem to matter as the bite was on. The simple six rod spread the two of us had was busy enough.

First to go was purple thunder mag spoon off the 65 rigger and a nice chunky king hits the surface like a steelie, or should I say marlin, and porpoises over and over right past the boat! Was spectacular watching that fish and Robert trying to keep up with it!..next to go was the 80 rigger, small steelie returned unharmed. As we moved into the 28 line things began to slow a bit, then the 210 diver took a shot and seemed to be a good fish but came unbuttoned before being able to gain any line.

We came into the 27 line and there we began marking fish deeper. Robert took a nice 26 lb king on the Gator mag spoon at 80 down. Lowered a rigger running at 55 that had done nothing yet down to 90 with a moonshine rv crabface mag spoon on it. Now we have everthing running 75 80 and 90, plus 2 divers and a 300 copper twinkie meat rig in the chute. The wave action settled down enough now to make a turn back north and hit the action waypoints again. Back in 27.5 to 28 line, we run into a hungry pod of kings, and within 30 seconds of each other, we have a triple going! The crabface gets hit first at 90 down, I grab it and then Robert is grabbing the 210 diver, 42 second spin doc and ATOMIK Narby's gold 42 second fly as it starts throbbing and screaming away from the boat. We are both standing in each corner with screamers on and the 80 rigger flies off with another fish on the NK Gator mag spoon! Talk about exciting!..suddenly I remember...COPPER....IN THE CHUTE!...and a diver!..I'm already prepared to issue it's last rights..three kings on at once, two of us, nobody at the helm, and trolling into waves and wind. I managed to gently turn the boat back down wind and get straight, the copper and diver still in tow. Robert gets his fish up to the boat first, mine is close and I had the net so I tell Robert to play with his fish for a bit at the side while I net my own. I managed to net the 27 lb salmon and dump it on the deck, go over and net Roberts fish, a 15 lb king. Now the one that took the 80 rigger is still dragging along so while Robert unhooked his fish and cleared the net I brought king # 3 onboard self netted once again. This one was smallest of the 3 at 11 lbs. I finally realise...Hey we did this and all three fish are in the boat...guess what!..No tangled copper or diver wire.. they still are running! Amazing they never got tangled! The 300 copper washed all morning without a hit but was probably running too high out of temp.

Well now its Noon and we are boxed, the cooler lid just barely closes on the catch. Robert is feeling a bit queezy from the washing machine effect of the waves and we head in. At the launch the DEC survey takes a look at our catch and finds two fish with the data tags and retrieved them and took weights and measures and scale samples. A very productive day! Nice weather and angry waves!

Mark

post-140268-13762524663243_thumb.jpg

post-140268-13762525184283_thumb.jpg

post-140268-13762525761667_thumb.jpg

post-140268-13762526432552_thumb.jpg

post-140268-1376252707773_thumb.jpg

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by skipper19

Oh man, look at those fleas built up in that pic of the fish laying in the boat....dang

Yup, they were bad on the 30 lb malin 7. That rod ran at least an hour before the retrieve. About 2 feet at the diver. Everything else was clean...zero fleas on 30 lb Ande rigger rods.

If you get a chance to pick up some fireline fused original 30 lb...try it instead of wire or mono. It works like wire but without fleas and no stretch like mono has. I am considering change to fireline on all diver rods.

If you get a chance to pick up some fireline fused original 30 lb...try it instead of wire or mono. It works like wire but without fleas and no stretch like mono has. I am considering change to fireline on all diver rods.

I would have to see that to believe it. I used to run standard braid and it was HORRIBLE as far as fleas grabbing on. I wonder why Fireline is different?

I would have to see that to believe it. I used to run standard braid and it was HORRIBLE as far as fleas grabbing on. I wonder why Fireline is different?

I know!...I never would use braid like power pro...but over 3 years now, I have run wire next to fireline and fireline "FUSED ORIGINAL" in 30 lb was less flea collection than wire. Wierd right!?.. but true. Check a spool of it sometime, feel the line. It is slickery! Small walnut size clumps will stick occasionaly, but one slap on the surface and gone! If my friend tcon Tom comes on here he can attest to it. The stuff ran equal time in same water during the Sandy Shootout and it excels over malin 7...it just works..fused...not Crystal type.

I know!...I never would use braid like power pro...but over 3 years now, I have run wire next to fireline and fireline "FUSED ORIGINAL" in 30 lb was less flea collection than wire. Wierd right!?.. but true. Check a spool of it sometime, feel the line. It is slickery! Small walnut size clumps will stick occasionaly, but one slap on the surface and gone! If my friend tcon Tom comes on here he can attest to it. The stuff ran equal time in same water during the Sandy Shootout and it excels over malin 7...it just works..fused...not Crystal type.

Very Cool. I will try it next time I need to spool a line up.