Favorite walleye lures and baits

justtracytrolling

Was just thinking about what im going to use next week at Tupper and I thought id start a thread on favorite baits and lures.

Favorite lure (trolling)

Rapala deep taildancer size 11 foil perch

Reef runner deep diver in gold clown (fall)

Favorite bait (susquhanna river)

Suckers (fall)

What are your favorites....for bigger walleyes not numbers

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For me its, spinners with #4 colorado or willow blades, colors depend on the day and location but gold/bring colors usually do a good job. Spring/fall I like reef runners in all sizes, Pink lemonade is my go-to color. Deep taildancers work well as do JDDHJ's in purpledescent and clown

I ran 1 color, perch, only all summer till today, and left the same lures on my rods all summer except when they got taken by tigers, and I had to put a new one on or to change leaders. Most trips out I didnt open a tackle box.

Justin

I have kept this pretty secret but people have given me some good info on here so here ya go. Pink rapala husky jerks size 12 or 14 are my go to lure for big walleyes. Almost every walleye on my website was caught on them and they are not all from the same body of water.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On the SLR:   Bombers, Smithwicks off riggers, Deep Diving Tail Dancer 11 and Reef runners. 

Bay of Quinte/ Lake Ontario:    TD11, Deep diving Reef Runner, 900 series Reef Runner and F18 Rapala

Ice fishing - jigging spoon (Deadly Dick, Castmaster), Rapalla jig tipped with minnows

Big baits= big walleyes 10 lb +

Kevin you think that live target perch in this pic is too big. Havent used it alot, and no luck with it. Can anyone tell me what lure the one on the bottom is? It pulls harder than a reef runner.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Kevin you think that live target perch in this pic is too big. Havent used it alot, and no luck with it. Can anyone tell me what lure the one on the bottom is? It pulls harder than a reef runner.

Justin

I am not sure of the exact model but I believe it is made by Mann's. The live target lures are great and worth the price. I don't think its too big. In Oswego we run number 18 rapalas.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Whatever diver you use, get the same color in a floater, 3 way swivel, 5 ft leader to floater , 3 ft leader to diver , watch this run beside the boat and leave it out with clicker on reel. I noticed aggressive fish take diver and neutral like floater usually hooked on rear treble. Floro leaders. I've taken doubles on that set more than once.

My favorite for big water (Lake Erie) trolling is my home made crawler harness with #6 watermellon willow leaf blades behind a dipsy .. followed closely by Renowski's crystalina minnow also in watermellon or clown color. 

For fall and winter on the Susky.. I always go with a bare jighead tipped with a chartreuse split-tail.. tipped with a fathead minnow. I usually use a 1/8 oz., but sometimes go to a 1/4 if conditions dictate. Caught many large walleye on that rig! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Edited by Sluggo / NY

Ive used three way rigs and they do work, but i found that if you run them on big boards its very easy to catch the floater with a line outside it when you get a fish on an outer line. You definitely need much more separation in the water column or you get a mess. Otisco is over 60 feet deep but im only fishing from 20 to 32 down and i cant run those rigs and fit 2 lines in 12 feet, i should prob try using them on just the outside lines and 1 rigger. I also found you have to make sure you use the clicker or your thumb laying lines or its a mess. I always used same length leaders can you explain the different lengths. Everybody has tricks and its great to read them and try to apply those tricks to your own fishing.

Justin

I run the trailer farther back to give it seperation from diver, they see diver then a floater bringing up the rear with less action. I've run these side by side, a segmented 5 core inside and a 4 core outside i always keep the deeper rig on the inside. Easy way to travel rods is I Ty a length from tip to reel for one leader and pick an eye guide to hook second line, just so my floater travels behind diver a couple feet. We used that set up on Quinte in the one rod zone to get more lures in the water. By the way, that pink husky is a player on Quinte. Make sure you check regs for number of hooks per line. I like jr thunder stick , and rouges run in tandem. Lots of combos work.

Edited by Roughrider IV

I fish adk lakes particularly the Great Sacandaga and Sacandaga Lake. I run all rapalas. the GSL I run both Jointed and stick rapalas..silver and black are the main colors. Sometimes I will throw in a perch mix or blue and silver. For the Sacandaga Lake where I catch much bigger walleye but not as many I run black and gold with a perch mixed in. I was running black and silver on Sacandaga Lake like I do on the Great Sacandaga and nothing. switched to black and gold and ended up with 5 walleyes all over 22'. biggest being 28". Catch them on downriggers and lead core.

My favorite lure is any one that will catch eyes on that day. My favorite way to fish for them is jig fishing but being stubborn sometime it can make for a long morning or evening, I always try that first then go to worm harness and than crank bait. So as far as my favorite bait would be one of my own custom jig heads with a gulp minnow, 4" moxi or a 4" grub curly tail. I also like bucktails. I don't really have a favorite stickbait or crankbait because I don't like to troll, I no trolling is productive but to me it is boring but I will do it if that is the only way I can get the fish to cooperate. I would also love to try the trolling game at the Bay of Quinte one day in the fall but I would have to try jigging first.

I have a lot of friends that arent fans of trolling as they would rather cast...that be said most of them have asked me to take them out after seeing my catches...1 who brought his son had to hear him all morning repeat...dad how come we dont fish like this it's way better...jigging and casting take a lot of skill and local knowledge, trolling allows everyone on the boat to participate regardless of skill level...I love to jig, but I know better than to try it where I should be trolling. Tough to get wife and kids to go fishing for walleyes regularly without getting them involved. Trolling might be a bit boring at times, but so is not catching and so is staying home!

Justin

That power minnow is a great walleye producer in the Black River, dad and I picked them up when there was a sporting goods store in a drug store in Water Town (forgot the name Fays maybe?) they were in the bargin box, we got 4 of them and we back trolled up the Black River dad had the power minnow and I was running a jr thunder stick and  was catching one walleye after another, so I switched to that lure it was a dark green on top lime green in the middle and a bright orange bottom with rattles, at time we had doubles on, we caught a one man ticket with just 2 passes, since we lost all of them to large pike I couldn't find that same lure.