kicker motor problem

rabhunt

I have a 96, 9.9 evinrude, electric start that fowls the plugs regardless of rpm's or speed. Thought it was just at slow troll speeds, so I put a trolling plate on made for motors 25hp or less. The plugs fowled even worse after 4 hrs of trolling. Any help would be be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul

sorry to jijack this post. I have a 1986 Mercury 9.9 will start up and idle no problem, as soon as I go into forward and give it some gas it stalls within 10 seconds. I am thinking that the carb is gummed up with this ****ty gas. I have an atv thta does the same thing. thoughts?

I beg to disagree with the NGK plugs. Johnson/Evinrude is tuned for Champion plugs.

The plugs that you can choose from for this engine are:QL82C, L77J4,QL77J4,Ql16V,L16V. My advice would be to go with the L or QL 77J4.Although you can go a bit hotter with the 78

The Q means that there is a resistor in the plug in order to prevent interference with your electronics.

Your problem may be too rich a fuel/ air mix, too much oil mixed in with your fuel or just plain the wrong type of oil. Make sure to use TCW3 2 stroke oil.

As far as ethanol in the fuel is concerned.Don't worry about it, it has no influence on your engine performance as far as fouling is concerned. If anything it makes the engine run cleaner.

You can do a simple carb cleaning by removing the bowl and cleaning the high speed jet,but that has absolutely nothing to do with plug fouling.

sorry to jijack this post. I have a 1986 Mercury 9.9 will start up and idle no problem, as soon as I go into forward and give it some gas it stalls within 10 seconds. I am thinking that the carb is gummed up with this ****ty gas. I have an atv thta does the same thing. thoughts?

PLease do not hyjack posts,it makes it hard to answer.Just start your own thread.

I just spoke to the Mercury mechanic when I dropped off my 9.9 and the tank. After explaining what was going on, she said well, the first thing is the tank you are using. Its a small 4 gallon EPA certified tank. She said that these tanks do not relieve pressure until it hits 5lbs inside. She said it forces too much fuel into the engine therefore flooding the engine. She siad the first thing she is gonna do is install a pressure relief valve in the tank!

Ok, well, just got the call from my mechanic. I had one cylendar without much if any spark..fixed that. then I had some switch and other wiring that was arching..fixed that. then added a pressure relief valve to the tank..fixed that..$436 later it runs good..urgh