Heading to Adirondacks (OLD FORGE area) - Any recommendations?

scramp

Looking for any suggestions on how to catch some real fish up near Old Forge.  Would like to target Largemouth/Smallmouth Bass and/or Pike.  May try 4th lake this year, normally fish 7th lake and catch only small panfish.  Any advice/hints/recommendations?  Would love to hit a pond up that way stocked......

If you fish Fourth Lake, try the area around Algiers Island at the Southern end. There's a small launch for car top boats. The large point on the East side just prior to the island and the area east and north of the island can be great for smallmouth on topwater. I'm sure that there's lots of good spots, but I have been limited to a canoe in that area. 

Also, Nick's Lake can be very good for largemouth. There's a state campground where you can put in. Could be tough mid-August. 

Give us a report when you get back.

Last time I stayed up there, we fished from old forge pond up to 4th lake.  We mostly beat the docks with plastics for Largemouth.  Like Gator, we also had some good topwater action with smallies on fourth lake. 

I will be staying at 8th lake campground there in a couple weeks ...any other recommendations? will be pulling a 19 foot vhull also..... would like to try 8th lake......raquette lake.......bug lake is nearby to hike to.....any day flyin trips recommended?

Im up for pretty much anything.

typically a warmwater fisherman however always up for something new......

any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

So back and same as past years.....TONS of tiny and I mean tiny Perch, Sunfish, Blue Gills, and Rockbass on 7th Lake.  Caught a couple small, smallmouth bass as well on 7th lake.  RNSURF, i'd stay away for 8th lake, if I was you and you want to catch fish.  7th Lake, and Old Forge Pond through 4th lake seemed to be best.

Scramp,

Did you fish 4th at all? I see you say that it was the same as in past years...but you only reference 7th lake.

I'd be interested in hearing the full report, and whether any of the "hotspots" produced.

Did not fish 4th.  I did however fish in Old Forge Pond, which is the beginning of chain that feeds into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and believe 4th lake.  The fish in that area are TINY.  In the end, just kept casting, catching VERY small panfish and occasional Smallmouth Bass, but enjoyed the scenary MUCH better than the fishing.

From all my research and some experience up there, if you're looking Pike or Bass, think you want to concentrate on Old Forge Pond through 4th Lake or make the trip up to Raquette Lake or Cranberry, but in the end, the fishing is MUCH/MUCH/MUCH better here around the Finger Lakes......

Not alot of size up there but we do pretty good #'s on Raquette with the bass. The last few hrs of day light with top water jitterbugs or broken backs j-5's Either cast into the weeds or Slow trolled around then. It's actually alot of fun chucking those things and watching them get hammered

Even cranberry doesnt have real big bass...big pike there tho...heard from a club bass guy raquette and uwatonna? are both good for bass. Scramp is spot on with his assessment...if you want great fishing stay in the finger lakes...if you want beauty and a challenge head to adk...the best fishing ive ever found in the adks was the saranac river. Ive canoed it 4-5 times in 1 long weekend and been down it 20 times at least and always did well. Just stay outta the permanent rapids unless you know what you are doing...the whole section from saranac lake to franklin falls pond is good for bass and pike, and walleyes from franklin pond to union falls pond. Even on its best day the Adirondacks are poor compared to the fingerlakes for everything! Otisco has produced 25lb 5 fish limits in several tournaments, tons of 8lb + eyes and several tigers every year over 20 lbs...but....i have to go up every year. My son worked his tail off for a few bass at tupper and caught 10 big smb this morn in 2 hours not 400 yds from the house in the susquehanna...go figure! Adk is not just fishing tho...

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app