The only thing I know is I need a Fish Hawk..I will be going in blind and off of reports and anything that my electronics  might tell me

Edited by Adk1

Lately till this past sunday the kings have been coming up in the bath water. Sunday it was good in the 47 degree area and couldnt get a king above it. You shouldnt need down temp this time of year, just your fishfinder.

You shouldnt need down temp this time of year, just your fishfinder.

Good point SF.  Last weekend was a transition because a few of the early staging kings were inside in the bath water and the rest were in 400+ FOW because the temps were there..  As they stage, temp means nothing.

We picked up the thermo cline with our old electronics in the 80's and 90's. just experiment with it. That's the beauty about this kind of fishing. You can catch fish with bare bones equipment by putting together all the things you've learned and putting time out on the water. We had a 15' orange wooden boat with homemade down riggers when I was a kid. We fished offshore with the freighters in pretty wavy conditions in that sucker. I remember taking 1st-2nd-or 3rd in the kids division of the Fall derby every yr. out of our little woody, and later our 16' Starcraft.

My last trip out, we took kings from 45 degree water to 72 degree water.  Once the staging starts to creep in, throw temp out the window and fish the marks on your fish finder. 

Edited by GAMBLER

This time of the year if there in the staging mode and its bright sun out, they usually hug the bottom. This is when dipsies and if you have enough room with boat traffic, copper is deadly. Or I'll drop down only two riggers with light line and extended leads off the rigger balls for them. This is my favorite time of year for kings!!