Copper vs. stainless

skach1

Stainless. 

Copper is a completely different presentation run as a long line and would not work well as a diver line due to it's extreme thickness.

Besides, you'd need a HUGE reel to load enough copper to run a diver on.

Tim

Roller tip or twilly tip is required only for stainless wire. Not needed for twisted copper wire.

Backing is needed to copper just like lead core because copper is normally fished with the entire section in the water. 

You don't need either. A standard tip will take years before wearing through.

While this is true and I would agree with you if you fished just a few times a year, that is not the main reason people upgrade to a roller or twili tip. Wire line and rod tip wear is a two-way streak; repeatedly running wire across the tiny radius of a standard rod tip cause premature wear to the wire causing it to curl excessively. These curls can loop over themselves and kink, and kinked wire breaks. Given a spool of wire, diver, attractor, fly, fluorocarbon leader and swivels run about $75 on a typical diver rod, a twili or roller tip upgrade is a fraction of the cost of a kinked and broken line.

While this is true and I would agree with you if you fished just a few times a year, that is not the main reason people upgrade to a roller or twili tip. Wire line and rod tip wear is a two-way streak; repeatedly running wire across the tiny radius of a standard rod tip cause premature wear to the wire causing it to curl excessively. These curls can loop over themselves and kink, and kinked wire breaks. Given a spool of wire, diver, attractor, fly, fluorocarbon leader and swivels run about $75 on a typical diver rod, a twili or roller tip upgrade is a fraction of the cost of a kinked and broken line.

I didn't ruin a twilli tip and had the curl and wound up with a kink. I have sense added a twilli tip and no more issues.

It is also easier to reel in the wire with the twilli tip.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Hmmmmm. It is funny that you say that because I run a couple of rods with a twilli tip and a couple with the regular tip. I do have that line curling up like a pig tail and never noticed if it is better or worse with the twilli tip vs standard tip. I will have to check that out and see. I have a few twilli tips in my tackle box and can change them easy enough. You are correct about the twilli tip being a cheap investment at about $8 or $10 for sure.

I will say this though... Even with the standard tip I have never broken a wire line yet. I have had some become frayed and have cut it out and retied it. That fraying may be caused by the standard tip now that I think about it.

In either case, good advise. I will change my tips out this week.

The curling itself may result from tension and stress on the wire itself regardless of tip option. I even have it with roller tips but John's points are well taken.

Edited by Sk8man

Wire line and rod tip wear is a two-way streak; repeatedly running wire across the tiny radius of a standard rod tip cause premature wear to the wire causing it to curl excessively. 

The heat stress will lessen the wire stength also.

Are Twilli tips necessary? no. but they are a great upgrade and in the long run you will see certainly see a difference.