Crappie limit 8/12

Kevin J Legg

I made a quick evening run to an Indian River Lake last night to try the crappies. I found a bunch off a weed bank in about 12 fow and caught one nearly every cast. All were caught on jigs and Powerbait minnows on a 1/16 jig head most hit it on the fall. Caught all 25 in around a half hour and they were still pounding when I left.

post-144887-0-95247400-1376390898_thumb.jpg

You sure know how to take advantage of the area where you live! I love seeing the updates on walleye, crappie, ducks...it's some beautiful country up North. I make it that way once a year to duck hunt, public land unfortunately and the hunting seems to have declined lately, but it's about as pretty as you can get. I might get my 11 yr old daughter up this year, since I'm Mr. Mom the weekend season opens. She'll be just shy of being able to shoot, but loves to canoe. Keep the reports coming!

Gator,

I sure am blessed to live in a great area for outdoor enthusiasts and being retired am able to take full advantage of it. With Lake Ontario, the St Lawrence River, the Indian River Lakes, the Salmon River,  the Adirondacks, and the Bay of Quinte all within an hour and a half drive I have world class potential for many species of fish and game. Having lived here for nearly forty years, I've fortunately mastered 

many of the techniques for a successful outing. Nice to hear that your daughter is interested in sharing time with you.

Man... Kevin you sure have the fish dialed in this season. My crappie spots are mainly Spring only....I probably should go back to the old night time fishing for them here at the south end of Canandaigua....Honeoye is now virtually unfishable because of weeds, blue/green algae and other serious problems of unknown origin. You have it made up there in terms of opportunity and beauty of the environment and it is good to see that "life in retirement" is agreeing with you :lol:  Keep up the good "work" :)  Les

Once walleye season opens im so damn tired... I havent  wet a line in the river or my crappie spot all summer.  Wish I had enough time to fish and sleep and work!  I literally have a 5 min drive for crappie, but  Otisco kicks my butt with the driving, and the early bite is too early! On the weekends Im at Otisco so I just don't get around to it.  Soon I hope...its nice to just sit on bucket and watch a bobber once in a while.  Jigging anything is best for me, but there is something about crappies and a bobber!  We have 4 farm ponds with plenty of gills but that just doesn't do it for me like crappies....big crappies!  Got up today at 3...on the water by 5 and back to work by noon...leave for Tupper at 1am....Ill bet I sleep tomorrow night!!!!  Hunting season is even worse!  No more crappie fishing Kevin I cant keep up with you... you're a beast...lol!!!

Justin

Justin, Being retired makes a world of difference. I remember turkey hunting before school, teaching and coaching after school every day. Now I pick my days and avoid weekend crowds when possible. Oh and I still get out most days. Today we're NJ bound as my daughter is in labor!

• 1 month later...