Wire Reel - Daiwa Saltist

Ok so after catching about 10 fish with my Okuma coldwater the level wind stopped working.  Luckily I was able to unscrew it and reel my line in.  Good thing I didn't get a fish on after this happened.  Needless to say I am a bit annoyed since I believe I am not the only one that has had this problem. 

Anyway I'm looking for a replacement reel.  I didn't really want to spend a couple hundred but I am looking at the Daiwa Saltist.  It was pretty much between the saltist and the tekota.  Any way which size saltist are people running?  The 30 or 40? 

I know this is probably been posted but any opinions on the saltiest or any other wire reel would be much appreciated.  I drive 5 hours to fish and don't want a low quality reel putting a damper on my fishing trips.  It was bad enough I was down to one wire rod this weekend when the dipsy finally started firing.   

IMO the saltist has a better drag from the factory...a size 30 will hold 1000ft of 7 strand with no backing...thats what I run for wire.  I had 40's set up last season with 150yds of 50lb power pro backing behind 1000 ft of wire only because I got them dirt cheap, now the 40's have 300 copper on them, I found a couple 30's cheap on ebay over the winter.

Ran them all last year and so far this year with 0 issues. 

Check classifieds on here, I think there were some new ones a week or so ago.  If not watch ebay...occasionally you will pick new ones up cheap, if you aren't in a hurry.

Some guys like tekotas, have one and don't care for the drag at all.  Maybe I got a dud, but its sticky right out of the box.

You can't go wrong with the Saltist! We've been running them for 5 seasons now, and we've never had one go bad on us. Are the clickers quiet on some? Yes! Are the linecounters annoying to some people? Yes! However, they are a solid built reel with a great drag!

I picked up the 30 last night and it just feels a little on the small size.  I understand it fits 1000 feet perfectly but it just feels a bit on the small size specially on the dipsey rod.  I also understand that backing is pretty useless when it comes to wire but is there a reason why people prefer the 30 over the 40.  I'm no pro but I feel the 40 would match up better with a dipsey rod.  But I prefer to hear your opinions since I am no more than a weekend warrior. 

They do look small on those big Ugly sticks and 10'6" Heartlands, but you want the 30s. If you go with the 40s you will want to use backer to get your counter accuracy back, and to take advantage of the high speed retrieve.

Tom at Tuna's Troubles reel repair recommends mono backing on wire reels. I figured he knows what he is talking about. I'd go with Rick's recommendation too.

Used the 30 this weekend.  Landed only one fish on it due to all the fish being soo deep.  But so far so good.  What a nice drag system.  It loosens enough to let the dipsey out nice and slow without worrying about it which was nice. 

Hook your Saltist 30 up to a Mag Dipsy on a #1 setting and let out 250'...deep won't scare it! We're running an older Daiwa Great Lakes 47LC next to the Saltist and it's night and day. They will all be Saltists next year.

Best prices I've seen new are at fishhbt.com, Hallett's bait and tackle here in Rochester, online. $158 for a #30 linecounter.